Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altair Hypercam EOS DSLR Adapter. How do you fit a filter

bilbo

Anyone have one these things, More important has anyone managed to fit a filter in one. Its got me stumped, I assumed the rear adapter would be threaded and simply unscrew to fit a 48mm filter. but it will not budge. On the Altair site they sell separate adapters for GPCAM, Hyprecam & Pro Tec looking at those they don't appear to be threaded. There are no grub screws holding the ring in either.

A mystery and as usual no doc's or help on site.

Cheers

Steve

Eos Adapter.jpg

Edited by bilbo
added pics

2 minutes ago, bilbo said:

Anyone have one these things, More important has anyone managed to fit a filter in one. Its got me stumped, I assumed the rear adapter would be threaded and simply unscrew to fit a 48mm filter. but it will not budge. On the Altair site they sell separate adapters for GPCAM, Hyprecam & Pro Tec looking at those they don't appear to be threaded.

A mystery and as usual no doc's or help on site.

Cheers

Steve

I can't help on the Altair one, but  I have recently bought one of these  from FLO which works perfectly and certainly takes a 1.25" filter. I can check tomorrow but I with the 1.25" insert removed, I assume it will take a 2" filter as well. You might need to get a spacer or two, but given the price difference (assuming you can return the Altair version) you will also have some money left over.

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

I can't help on the Altair one, but  I have recently bought one of these  from FLO which works perfectly and certainly takes a 1.25" filter. I can check tomorrow but I with the 1.25" insert removed, I assume it will take a 2" filter as well. You might need to get a spacer or two, but given the price difference (assuming you can return the Altair version) you will also have some money left over.

Thanks but I need to know how this thing comes apart.  Maybe Altair just superglued these. Added a pic, 

cheers

8 hours ago, bilbo said:

Thanks but I need to know how this thing comes apart.  Maybe Altair just superglued these. Added a pic, 

cheers

Is there a grub screw under the red mount holding it together (or maybe just clamping the unit too tight to unscrew). According to the Altair website the hypercam adapter should unscrew for you to fit your filter, and you can buy alternative adapters for  the different Altair camera.

12 hours ago, Shimrod said:

Is there a grub screw under the red mount holding it together (or maybe just clamping the unit too tight to unscrew). According to the Altair website the hypercam adapter should unscrew for you to fit your filter, and you can buy alternative adapters for  the different Altair camera.

No, That was the first thing I looked for. I have now found out it is in fact threaded. So I need a scrap 2" extension to screw in from the opposite side. I'll drill two holes in the extension and place a bar or screwdriver through the holes. (Circular box spanner) as it tightens it will unscrew the adapter unless it strips the threads first