NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star adventurer inverted image

I’m a complete beginner and I’ve Just dragged my star adventurer out of the box for a first attempt at astrophotography.  This may be a silly question but looking through the polar scope to calibrate the equipment the image I’m seeing is inverted.  Is this normal or do I have a faulty bit of equipment.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

26 minutes ago, Airbear said:

Iapa,

Thankyou for the quick reply and putting my mind at ease.  If polar alignment doesn’t sound tricky enough I now have to do it backwards.  I think I have a lot to learn.

If you use a mobile phone polar align app it should show the SW polarscope as you see it so no having to correct things..

Alan

47 minutes ago, Airbear said:

Iapa,

Thankyou for the quick reply and putting my mind at ease.  If polar alignment doesn’t sound tricky enough I now have to do it backwards.  I think I have a lot to learn.

Not at all.

Don’t think about up/down or left/right.

As you look through the polar scope just adjust Ra/Dec controls to move Polaris into the wee circle.

There are a couple of utoob videos showing how to get the polar scope properly set up in the day time.

May be worth a look first?

The only time I got tripped up with all these inversions and flips was when I was using both a refractor and a Newtonian at an outreach event on alt-az mounts.  As I moved each to reposition the object after letting it drift though the field of view, I kept getting mixed up which way was up/down and left/right in each.  The refractor is upright, but reversed left/right.  The Newtonian is rotated 180 degrees, so inverted in both directions.  I eventually got the hang of it.

• Haha 1