NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New ZWO EAF 5v version....any good...

I see there is a new version of the ZWO EAF focus motor out, this one is just 5v so only needs one USB cable for both data and power....does anybody know if these are any good and powerful enough, as my experience with the older Feathertouch motors that run on 5v, is that they were pretty dire and only really worked fitted to the fine focus side of the Focuser....👍🏼

140C3E43-4D0A-4B8B-9521-E4FE014F7E30.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971

As an aside, I just put an inline ammeter/voltmeter (supposedly measures +/- 10mA) between my ASIAir Pro and the 12V version of the EAF. 

Current draw was practically zero pulling the camera up vertically through the full range of the draw tube.

My “gut feel” is that it’ll be fine :) if the mechanics are the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iapa said:

With sufficiently high gearing it's surprising how little how little power is needed. It just takes longer :)

• Like 1

Just now, pete_l said:

With sufficiently high gearing it's surprising how little how little power is needed. It just takes longer :)

Yup

And when auto focusing, I’m happy if it takes up to 10mins or more, as once in the ball park the time to refocus between ‘n’ frames or per filter change becomes irrelevant compared to 5m exposures :)

• Like 1

On 13/04/2021 at 18:38, iapa said:

As an aside, I just put an inline ammeter/voltmeter (supposedly measures +/- 10mA) between my ASIAir Pro and the 12V version of the EAF. 

Current draw was practically zero pulling the camera up vertically through the full range of the draw tube.

Take care the peak current during acceleration will be higher in a stepper motor while you are effectively measuring average current. Current draw will also depend on the load on the focuser. However, you are still most likely correct, not going to be much as you say. 

13 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Take care the peak current during acceleration will be higher in a stepper motor while you are effectively measuring average current. Current draw will also depend on the load on the focuser. However, you are still most likely correct, not going to be much as you say. 

Yup

given the setting for number of steps for “fast” set at 500, I’m comfortable that this is not going to be an issue.

I think my mount is more likely to be, so, tomorrow, meter is connected to that for checking.

All told, the 12V 5A PSU looks to be perfectly adequate - well i,m not going to be slowing, shifting focus and imaging all at the same time.

An interesting experiment for worst case scenario I suppose.

So now I can run camera, WiFi extender (essential) mount and both dew bands with a splitter from the ASI Air. Does make things nice and simple. 

I’ve read about bad backlash with these focuses but the 2 I have had from FLO are solid. 

• Like 1