Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Only one Frame

So, the other night when it was really clear I managed to image the Horsehead Nebula with 22 lights at 800 iso and then did darks, then I got carried away and took 22 lights of the Leo triplet but used the same darks. When it came to loading on the laptop I realized that I used 2 cards and got my flats and darks mixed up. Now I have got a message on DSS saying 'Only one frame (out of 23) will be stacked. You should check/change the star detection threshold to detect more stars & help DSS find a transformation between the reference frame & the others' 

I guess that you don't 'share' darks and also keep to one subject especially as I'm still learning.

Thoughts please anyone.

John  

Your issue sounds like DSS hasn't found enough stars to stack the frames. It needs a minimum of 8 stars common to all frames in order to align them. Try lowering the star detection threshold and/or trying to stack without any calibration frames (in case those are introducing more problems than they are solving).

As a side note, don't do darks with a DSLR, dither between lights and use bias frames - darks are only of use if you can control sensor temperature (i.e. with a cooler)

• Like 1