NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lens won't fit when CLS filter is installed

I just got a Skywatcher CLS filter for my Canon. But when it's fitted, the lens won't go on (as there is now insufficient space for the lens to protrude inside the camera)! 

I thought these things were supposed to be able to work with lenses? At least according to this video

35 minutes ago, StuartT said:

I just got a Skywatcher CLS filter for my Canon. But when it's fitted, the lens won't go on (as there is now insufficient space for the lens to protrude inside the camera)! 

I thought these things were supposed to be able to work with lenses? At least according to this video

I believe they are not for Full frame cameras and cannot be used with EFS lenses :)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, callisto said:

Did you get it new...Is it still under its 14/30 day money back refund?

Mark

I did buy it new, yes. Although now I look at the website again, it does say at the bottom that it is not for EF-S mounts. I really need to read things properly!! So I very much doubt they would refund it.

However, I would still be able to use it on the telescope with a T-adapter, so all is not lost. It just means I can't use it for wide sky photos, trails etc.

52 minutes ago, almcl said:

You might find this thread interesting:

I haven't been brave enough to modify my kit lens (yet) but if I can find a cheap second hand one...

thanks. Although I see that he didn't actually report back, so maybe he didn't 'cut a bit off' 

I must admit I can't imagine how that would even be possible!

Some non-Canon lenses may not have that protrusion, I guess?

1 hour ago, StuartT said:

thanks. Although I see that he didn't actually report back, so maybe he didn't 'cut a bit off' 

I must admit I can't imagine how that would even be possible!

Some non-Canon lenses may not have that protrusion, I guess?

I asked this question a few days ago, and then found my own answer! Canon EF-S lenses have an extra protrusion to stop them being used in EF mount cameras (where the mirror would hit the lens). This protrusion is generally not found on third-party EF-S lenses, so you can use a clip-in filter fine with them.

There is a short video here showing someone converting an 18-135mm lens .

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

I asked this question a few days ago, and then found my own answer! Canon EF-S lenses have an extra protrusion to stop them being used in EF mount cameras (where the mirror would hit the lens). This protrusion is generally not found on third-party EF-S lenses, so you can use a clip-in filter fine with them.

There is a short video here showing someone converting an 18-135mm lens .

Thanks. This is encouraging as I have a Tokina wide angle on order. So fingers crossed!

the video is remarkable! Who’d have thought it was that easy. Just tried it on my 18-55 though and it didn’t just pop out like his did. I didn’t like to pull too hard and risk breaking my lens!

Edited by StuartT