Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Confused over which light pollution filter to add to EOS RA (CLS or CLS CCD)

Afternoon folks.

I have an EOS RA and wish to buy a clip-in light pollution filter for it (my main lens does not have a filter thread).  I have seen astronomiks CLS and CLS CCD clip in filters but I'm confused over which one is better suited for the EOS RA?  Am I right in that the RA is effectively a modded camera that the CCD version is better suited or does that not matter. I've reached out to the manufacturer but no word.

Also if there are alternatives to the Astronomik people have had good experiences with (I wish to shoot the milky way mostly) please let me know too!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Graeme

On 06/04/2021 at 18:36, lune lupine said:

I have seen astronomiks CLS and CLS CCD clip in filters but I'm confused over which one is better suited for the EOS RA?  Am I right in that the RA is effectively a modded camera that the CCD version is better suited or does that not matter.

Not into astrophotography in any way but you need to identify what the light pollution is you want to filter out. Older street / commercial lighting is brightest in the green yellow/orange area of the spectrum, Modern LED lighting tends be brightest in the blue area and very strong across much of the remaining spectrum making it a very difficult source to deal with.

As local conditions vary so wildly for everyone its a difficult question to answer. Most of the general CLS / Light Pollution Filters basically chop out a lot of that GrYeOr area and are the same filter that they were ten years ago.

Take a snap of your skies at their worst and post it up so peopl can see what you're dealing with.

The Multiband Optolong L Pro seems to be a popular filter, (I have one, just not had the opportunity to test it) its available in Canon full frame format also.  Gallery at http://www.optolong.com/cms/document/detail/id/84.html

The Ra is a Canon R with a modified internal filter.

All the best & clearer skies

Steve

PS Don't forget under distance selling rules you try and return items, you may have to pay a small fee, but it'll be worth it

Edited by bilbo
error corrected