NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice for new telescope

Hello, new to this site. Sorry for the wrong topic, but I would like some feed back on the right telescope to get my wife.  She loves looking at moon and planets with just binoculars.  Id like to buy her the cpc 1100 bundle. Is this the right choice. Will we be able to use this or is it too advanced?  Please give me advice.  Thanks.

I don't think there is something that is "too advanced", but the problem I think you will most likely encounter is that the telescope is too big. Binoculars are the most grab and go instrument that you can have. If you have the urge to go out, you just pick up the binoculars, go outside and start observing. On the other hand, an 11" SCT requires significant planning before a session. The mount must be carried out and set up, then the OTA must be taken out and put on the mount. Given the weight and bulk of the OTA, lifting it on to the mount is potentially a two person job. Once set up the telescope will need to acclimatise for perhaps a couple of hours before use. An SCT will also require active dew control to prevent the front corrector dewing over. Ideally, an 11" SCT would be permanently mounted in an observatory rather than set up and packed away each time. It is possible that this telescope is your wife's dream scope, but I think that this would have to be something that you discuss with your wife, rather than something that appears to be a surprise gift. 

Assuming that your wife's interest does lie with the moon and planets, rather than deep space, then I would be more inclined to look at a 5"/127mm Maksutov as a first telescope. The Skywatcher Skymax 127 AZGTi bundle would probably be my personal choice, although the current worldwide stock situation means that you need to find out which telescopes are currently available and adjust your selection accordingly. 

• Like 2

Unless this is going into an observatory or your wife is an accomplished weight lifter, I would advise against such a heavy telescope starting out.

For the moon and planets, a 127 Mak on an alt-az mount will more than suffice.  Just give it 30 minutes to an hour to acclimate outdoors before using it.  There are two main flavors of them.  There are the more plentiful Synta versions which are actually 118mm of clear aperture, 1500mm focal length, and sold under Orion, Celestron, and Sky-Watcher brands.  I have two of them, and they work terrifically well even though both were bought used.  Then there are the JOC versions which are a true 127mm of clear aperture, 1900mm focal length, and sold under the Explore Scientific and Bresser brands.  I have no experience with them, but they also get rave reviews.

For either one, I highly recommend purchasing a 50mm RACI (Right Angle Correct Image) finder to help put the scope on target because their field of view is so narrow thanks to their long focal lengths.

Edited by Louis D

17 hours ago, Jehu said:

Hello, new to this site. Sorry for the wrong topic, but I would like some feed back on the right telescope to get my wife.  She loves looking at moon and planets with just binoculars.  Id like to buy her the cpc 1100 bundle. Is this the right choice. Will we be able to use this or is it too advanced?  Please give me advice.  Thanks.

Here's a report from someone who actually owned and used that 'scope a few years ago:

Maybe consider even a smaller jump form binoculars to Maksutov of 102mm of aperture.

It is even lighter than 127mm thus more portable - needs less cool down time. In AzGTI combination - light enough to be picked up and carried assembled in one hand.

Still able to provide some amazing views of moon and planets.

Hi @Jehu and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

I would for the time being avoid the CPC1100 and get something smaller.

If you decide to get a smaller Mak or SCT, then you can just about get away with it as an 'aircraft carry on' in a backpack (if you decide to travel for the next total solar eclipse on 8th April 2024 - REMEMBER to purchase a full aperture solar filter as well) and can also be used for other outdoor pursuits during the daytime hours as well or as a high-power camera lens with the necessary camera mounting hardware. I have an ETX105, although I have had a few 'mods' done to it after purchase. (images below). Also a dewshield is a must have accessory as they are notorious dew-magnets. Other 'scope options you may wish to consider are a small 'Dobsonian' (minimum aperture: 130mm) or a refractor (minimum aperture: 70mm for visual). Other things you will need to take into account are a tripod & mount, eyepieces, etc. 

small_IMG_0385.JPG..jpg.96b510aeac1ce230208486066271a09d.jpgPIC011.JPG.d44aaf7659477cb4cf6a80da07ee9215.JPGPIC012.JPG.3b3b2b4aaf9826a35f9fd23345ee7b76.JPG

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

My jaw drops at the suggestion of buying a CPC1100 as a first scope. I have a CPC800 and this is a heavy beast that takes up to half an hour to haul outside and set up. I suggest getting something that is a step up from binoculars but not big, heavy or expensive.  Something like a 90mm refractor or a 130mm Newtonian, and forget the GoTo unless she requests it.  If that goes well, you can get her the big scope (and the observatory) later.

• Like 1