NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG-5 PTFE Bearings

pedromreis

Hi all

I bought an Old GC5-avgt. It needs some servicing, I want to do it myself.

I've read that it could benefit from having the plastic washers/bearings changed to PTFE.

Do anyone one knows the specs of these plastic bearings? Thickness, diameter, etc. I would lig to have them before I start disassembling the mount.

Thanks

10 hours ago, pedromreis said:

Hi all

I bought an Old GC5-avgt. It needs some servicing, I want to do it myself.

I've read that it could benefit from having the plastic washers/bearings changed to PTFE.

Do anyone one knows the specs of these plastic bearings? Thickness, diameter, etc. I would lig to have them before I start disassembling the mount.

Thanks

Teflon washers are the norm... ed from deep space products uses them to gain the correct spacing of the worm

12 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Teflon washers are the norm... ed from deep space products uses them to gain the correct spacing of the worm

Cant find any supplier of those in Europe at least.. On the Dec axis is something like 74OD x 62ID and 0.5mm. Difficult size to find at least for me.

50 minutes ago, pedromreis said:

Cant find any supplier of those in Europe at least.. On the Dec axis is something like 74OD x 62ID and 0.5mm. Difficult size to find at least for me.

That's why they buy the Teflon in sheet form and cut it to size 

• Sad 1

ebay?

For what its worth,  I think  replacing the worm bearings and 6007RZ RA bearing will make more difference, the teflon bearings seem to be just gap fillers 

If you are going to re-engineer it, I  would suggest  looking at the problem Celestron are trying to solve on a tight budget  and  see if you can do better with better/different components which may be slightly different  size eg needle bearings (you may need to do some exact measuring) rather than copying their components, try different  grease

But  remember it wont turn  into a Paramount ...

I replaced every bearing and added custom belt drive, yes it was interesting and a learning experience and I then bought an EQ6! (but  at least I know how everything works)

6 hours ago, billhinge said:

ebay?

For what its worth,  I think  replacing the worm bearings and 6007RZ RA bearing will make more difference, the teflon bearings seem to be just gap fillers 

If you are going to re-engineer it, I  would suggest  looking at the problem Celestron are trying to solve on a tight budget  and  see if you can do better with better/different components which may be slightly different  size eg needle bearings (you may need to do some exact measuring) rather than copying their components, try different  grease

But  remember it wont turn  into a Paramount ...

I replaced every bearing and added custom belt drive, yes it was interesting and a learning experience and I then bought an EQ6! (but  at least I know how everything works)

for me its a 100£ tripod and mount that I would like to use to take some pics with the dslr. not expecting much. Yes, I will change those bearings, the worm and the 6007. What do you mean with needle bearings? can you elaborate or point me to some info?

The EQ6 is not yet at reach :) ... no budget for it  :)

Edited by pedromreis