polar alignment issue

I was polar aligning tonight on my EQM 35 pro using a 127 mak, I don't go mad because it is visual mainly or short unguided type eeva/imaging.

Anyway, got my rough polar alignment nice and easy.  Then using the mak I checked for polaris in my eyepiece and it was a little bit shy of actually being in the FOV.  (This being 0.6 degrees)

I tweaked it to get polaris centred but then lost polar alignment, so returned it back to polar aligned. 

I have watched so many videos to try and figure my head is beginning to hurt.

Anybody got any advice as to where i am potentially going wrong please.

11 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

I was polar aligning tonight on my EQM 35 pro using a 127 mak, I don't go mad because it is visual mainly or short unguided type eeva/imaging.

Anyway, got my rough polar alignment nice and easy.  Then using the mak I checked for polaris in my eyepiece and it was a little bit shy of actually being in the FOV.  (This being 0.6 degrees)

I tweaked it to get polaris centred but then lost polar alignment, so returned it back to polar aligned. 

I have watched so many videos to try and figure my head is beginning to hurt.

Anybody got any advice as to where i am potentially going wrong please.

does your mount have a polar scope?

I haven't ever seen polar alignment done by ensuring it is in the center of the FOV of the main scope 

As you have realised, NCP is slightly away from Polaris.

So once you have Polar Aligned, if you really want to see Polaris in the FOV, use the handbox controls.

Not the mount's mechanical adjustments, because that will, of course, mess up you PA.

For Star Alignment, choose two or three other stars, not Polaris.

Michael

• Like 1

13 hours ago, michael8554 said:

As you have realised, NCP is slightly away from Polaris.

So once you have Polar Aligned, if you really want to see Polaris in the FOV, use the handbox controls.

Not the mount's mechanical adjustments, because that will, of course, mess up you PA.

For Star Alignment, choose two or three other stars, not Polaris.

Michael

Right, so as I thought. Thanks.

That probably explains the poor goto after alignment too. Wasn't a mile off, but enough.