Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Benefits of Old Data

Xiga

All of us unfortunate enough to suffer the usual dreadful UK weather know just how bad it has been for months on end now. That, coupled with my ongoing mount issues (as in, i currently don't have one! - long story, which i won't go into) means i have had to find other ways to keep the hobby going, and what better way than to make use of old data! 😀

Last Autumn i did a mosaic of Cygnus in NB, and at the time, i tried, unsuccessfully, to make use of some old higher-res data from the trusty old SW 80ed and Nikon D5300. Well, not being the type who likes to give up easily (and sure, what else was there to do) i decided to revisit this and see if i could get it to work. The plan was not to re-process the original image (waaaaay too much work to even contemplate) but rather, just to try and incorporate the higher res Ha data as Luminance in certain areas. Thankfully, i got it to work in the end, but it certainly wasn't easy!

Normally, registering images from different optical systems isn't an issue, and APP has no problem with this. The problem i had was, i was trying to register a single image taken with a telescope with an already created large 3x3 mosaic taken with a camera lens, so the two images differed massively not just by image scale but also by overall size, and APP just kept failing to register them. So in the end, i had to register the high-res images with the appropriate single panel of the mosaic. After this, APP was then able to register this newly registered image with the overall mosaic. 

The original image had about 27 hrs of exposure with an Atik 383l+ and two cheap vintage lenses, with the bulk of the work (i.e Ha) being done at 135mm. The new (i.e old!) data now being used is from a SW 80ED and Nikon D5300 and a 2" Baader Ha filter. I was able to add about 7 hrs of Ha data to the NAN, and even after it was scaled back to match the image scale of the 135mm lens i think it has still made a noticeable difference. I also added 100 mins of Ha data to the Pelican Nebula, taken with a Qhy9m - thanks Adam!. Finally, i was able to make use of my previous Veil Nebula Mosaic data, which was 10 hrs of Ha and 7 hrs of Oiii, which was used as Ha with the Oiii added in Blend Mode Lighten. Finally, i trawled out some 7 hrs worth of Ha data on the Crescent and was able to add that too, although it added very little, as the crescent is just too small at this image scale. 

All in all, a worthwhile use of a couple of nights in front of the computer, i think! 🤪 

New image is first, with the original one second. With a couple of gifs added to show the improvements. 

Hoping to be back in the imaging game before long. CS all! 

829701984_CygnusMosaic_HighResDetails70pc_HSTimage5.thumb.jpg.9576e723c94833bc7fc73eee62c095e9.jpg

1462426372_CygnusMosaic_HSTimage4.thumb.jpg.5e89071045d998a9ad96129fce96482b.jpg

NAN.thumb.gif.7d475f4b02dec2a252b942ebdaf8379f.gif

Veil.thumb.gif.effcfab3082fa659943e941e2c52edec.gif

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 11

On 27/03/2021 at 06:36, Roy Foreman said:

That would make an impressive mural if you had the space to display it !

Looks good.

Thanks Roy! I've already got a few prints up on the wall, i think this one might be a step too far though lol. 

On 27/03/2021 at 08:16, tooth_dr said:

Great job Ciarán. Sorry to hear your mount isn’t back yet still 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

Thanks Adam. I got an email tonight with a tracking number, so fingers crossed i'm nearing the end of it now. 

On 28/03/2021 at 11:25, Allinthehead said:

An outstanding image elevated to another level. Wonderful image, congratulations Ciarán.

Thanks Richard! 😀