NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light with my evostar 72ed ds pro

AstroNebulee

Hi, this report may be a bit jumbled and giddy as I was light a child again last evening with my new to me sw evostar 72ed ds pro from a fellow member on here mikemabel. I unboxed the scope and just stood there in awe. Checking CO and MO there was due to be a couple of hours of mostly clear skies (how did this happen with new equipment day), I got all my other kit together that I'd need and headed outside around 7pm to set up even though it was dusk. I fitted the scope to my az gti mount and tripod, though I'm going to have to fit my longer dovetail bar as to balance with my dslr attached I need slightly more than the short one allows, fitted the 9x50 raci FS and removed both caps from the scope to cool down. After cool down time I slewed quickly to the moon with dslr attached to a extension tube (my t ring is a 42mm and I needed a 48mm one to connect to the ovl FF, so that's on order) the moon gave very sharp views and very very little CA of any atall, took the few obligatory shots of the moon. Then aligned the scope properly in the synscan app now the stars were beginning to appear and went on a magical tour that evening. To cor coroli, M42, M81, Pleiades, beehive cluster, M35 and M47. The views were breathtaking through the scope as I've never had a widefield scope before only my skymax 127, so to view all the clusters in their glory was something to behold. I duly took a few snaps with my dslr connected (to follow later) I was so chuffed to get a couple of quick 15 sec subs of M81, a first in that one for me. I even managed to get the ISS in shot passing cor coroli but no detail just a white star. I really didn't want to come in that evening as I was enjoying myself so much but bed and work were calling. I can't wait to have more sessions with this scope and explore more targets and really get better with the subs on some of them. This is definitely my forever scope and life partner to my skymax 127. Clear skies. 

Edited by LeeHore7
Added word
  • Like 8

Hi Lee

I am chuffed to see you enjoying the scope as it was intended. With the ZWO 183MM PRO i got some wow moments

of images of the horsehead nebula and the needle galaxy..my member profile photo . 

Clear skies 

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikemabel said:

Hi Lee

I am chuffed to see you enjoying the scope as it was intended. With the ZWO 183MM PRO i got some wow moments

of images of the horsehead nebula and the needle galaxy..my member profile photo . 

Clear skies 

Mike

Hi Mike, thank you agsin for the sale of the scope and kit. I'm thoroughly enjoying the scope so far and first light on first night 👍. Your images are fantastic, if I. An only get near that quality. Clear skies 

3 hours ago, Neil27 said:

Enjoy Lee, I missed the sale of the scope by about 45 minutes, so glad to hear it went to a good home.

Sorry about that Neil. I've been looking for this scope for an eternity, I really enjoyed first light with it and thoroughly researched it as my forever scope. Hope you get one soon, clear skies 

Lee 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

Sounds like an awesome piece of kit and a superb "greatest hits" tour as first light - Clear Skies! 

Thank you, I'm loving the scope, I just didn't know where to send the scope to first last night, so much beauty to see up there that I've been unable to see properly before, clear skies 

• AstroNebulee changed the title to First light with my evostar 72ed ds pro

Edit... I've added the moon image taken at dusk with slight high cloud at the time giving the moon a lovely glow, then images of M35, and M47 & 46 NGC 2423 only 5 subs no calibration files as I was just trying it out. I've a batinov mask on order for the scope now so focus will be sharper. 

M47 24-3-21.jpg

Moon-24-3-21-dusk.jpg

m35-24-3-21.jpg

• Like 2