NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 130P Skyscan AZ GOTO setup

I have just acquired a Skywatcher Explorer 130P AZ GOTO. It is my first telescope and it was strongly recommended to me as highly suitable for a beginner. However, I'm having a little difficulty getting going.

If anyone else has one of these, would they be able to give me a few tips?

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Kai

Well, the first thing is that I'm not sure if I have all the bits.

1. In the pictures I have seen, there is a sight finder on top of the main tube. Does the 130P actually have one? The spec mentions a 6x30 finderscope. Would that be it?

2. Also, the spec indicates that there should be two eyepieces. I can't find these as separate items. There is an assembly attached to the side of the tube but I can't work out if it incorporates the eyepieces. When I take off the cover and peer inside, I see my own eyeball looking back.

3. Finally, the spec includes a 2" rack & pinion focuser with 1.25" adaptor. What would that look like?

I have to go out right now, so please don't feel obliged to come back straightaway.

Many thanks

Have you looked in the boxes that come with the scope and mount. The finder and its bracket plus the eyepieces are in one. The rack and pinion focuser is the thing that winds in and out on the side of the scope. THe adapeter is either in it or is with the eyepieces. The eyepieces fit in the adapter which fits in the focuser. While you play try not to finger any lens on eyepiece or scope.

The finder goes into the holder that fits to the scope.

BUT to start just find all the bits. Then setup the base, attach the goto to it, then add the scope to the goto. After that you can attach the finder to it.

That is just the start - then the fun begins.

O, and in doing this lot don't force the goto to move - it only moves when you use the controls - if you turn it by hand you might break it!

If you get this far and want the next steps we are here to help.

The bit your looking down that reflects your eyeball is the focuser - the 2" to 1.25" adapter is most likley on top of it already. Theres probably a small thumbscrew that releases it.

The finderscope should look like a small telescope, there will also be a mounting for the finderscope which fits to the 'shoe' on the main telescope.

The eyepieces and Barlow will be in in the packing somewhere and will be packaged into some small white cardboard boxes.

Were there no instructions in the box with this ?

Well well. I had another rumage and, among all the little empty boxes which are used only for padding, I found one nestling in the corner which contained the missing pieces. I feel very humble. It's a bit like wondering why the car won't start when you haven't checked to see if you have any petrol. Thanks for the advice, Tiny.

In fact, there was one extra item I didn't expect to find. Astro_Baby mentioned the Barlow. What do you do with that?

There are instructions but they are generic in that they seem to cover a wide range of scopes. Some items are not mentioned or illustrated. A list of pieces would have been helpful.

Anyway, progress is being made.

I have the same scope and wrote this review which might help.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,35242.0.html

The barlow lens goes into the focuser first then the eyepiece, this doubles the magnification of the two eyepieces.

A couple of pointers:

Align the finder scope in daylight on an object about 1/2 mile away if you can. You can check it against the Moon when you satrt observing.

Use the eyepiece with the largest number (it represents the focal length) first as it will give you the lowest magnification. Easier for locating your alignment stars.

When aligning on a star get it as central in the eyepiece as possible - it will make the GOTO work more accurately.

Mike

And also the SW Barlow has a tight fitting plastic cap over its lower end - probably has a small hole in the centre - this pulls away to allow you to fit it in the focuser but its often on very tight and people either

a) dont realise it comes off and try and force it into the focuser or

:( unscrew it and take the end of the Barlow off in the process

Something to be mindful of.

Another thing though it might be too late. Before you fit the tube to the mount get the mount goto working and figure out how it works. You do this indoors in daylight and can practise as much as you like before you ever start putting the scope on it and the bits on the scope.

Putting a goto scope together is a sort of a figure this out then then next stage thing so by the time you actually go out at night you know how the goto works, have fitted the scope to it and aligned the finder view with the scope view, have tried out the two eyepieces and the barlow on distant daytime objects and can change them easily in the light - which will make it easier in the dark.

Finally, with the scope you have you have to set the limit on the goto for how much angle up the mount will allow. With your scope this is under 80degrees before the back end hits the tripod (which you do not want).

And as a general comment... always check before each use that the scope is held tightly to the tripod with the big screw as tight as possible - if the screw is loose and the scope falls out it can be damaged. Using it often loosens the screw that holds it tight so check the screw is tight before each use.

All this might sound confusing and a steep learning curve but getting it right will save time and trouble later and allow you to enjoy using the scope to see things like Saturn - which have the wow factor. :(

Thank you everyone for all the good advice. My next question about the Barlow lens has been anticipated. I was staring through the tiny hole in the cap and wondering how the light was supposed to get through it or whether I should unscrew the end. Good job I resisted the temptation to reach for the hammer and pliers.

It's not too late to apply any of the suggestions. The sky continues cloudy and the next clear night here is forecast for Wednesday.

Lol...rule of thumb - skies will not usually clear within 2 weeks of new scope purchase :(

A few tips for the longer term (things that I wished I knew when I got my 1st scope)...

When not in use try to store it facing down - helps prevent the mirror collecting dust. If it does get dusty don't try to do anything about it without checking for threads on how to clean it (you will then realise why it's best not to unless you really have to).

Presuming you are storing it inside: if you bring it inside out of the cold, warm air will rush into the tube and the cold interior will dew up. This isn't a problem and will evaporate as the scope warms back up but don't seal the tube back up until it has gone.

You will also need to let the tube cool down to the outside temerature for up to an hour before you will get the best out of it when the clouds eventually part and the ground is clear enough of snow.

Have fun!

Best advice with a new scope is read all the instructions, then spend ages messing about with it indoors in daylight so your totally familiar with it when you go out in the dark. You dont want to be out in the dark cold night trying to figure out the instructions - it just leads to frustration.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest metroman

I also have the Explorer 130P synscan goto. There are some good tips in the forum. I tried to set mine up yesterday, but I think that I have entered my co-ordinates incorrectly, but I think that this all adds to the fun of setting the scope up.

Martin

QUE PASA,

You've received some good advice. Don't be shy about asking for more. The manual that came with your scope could be better but....

I also have a SynScan Alt/Az GOTO mount but have a Celestron C6S mounted on it. When I first used the synscan I had 100% misses. The problem was tripod flexure. The fix was simple .... tighten all the nuts and bolts. I've done some other simple alterations and now have an excellent lightweight tripod. My goto accuracy now is 100%.

One thing to keep in mind is a level mount. What they are talking about is level in all directions. The bubble level on my mount is dead on ... leveling is simple, just center the bubble in the level. Check yours with another level to be sure that it's accurate. The mount can compensate for some error but ... the closer you are to level the better the gotos will be.

Another thing you may want to do before your first night, is spend a little time looking at a star chart so you know the names and general location of four or five of the brightest stars out now. This will help you in your alignment.

Use the 25 mm eyepiece without a barlow when you are doing your gotos. This has the widest field of view and increases the odds that the object you are seeking will be in view when you look through the telescope.

Aligning and centering an alignment star. One trick is to defocus the star so it makes a big round dot. This makes centering much easier.

Have fun with the scope and don't be too discouraged if at first things don't seem to be going properly. They will in short order.

Sxinias

• 2 weeks later...
Guest metroman

Hi,

When setting the scope up, does it have to be pointing North before you do the star alignment. Is it best to do the Brightest Star alignment or the two-star alignment? Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin, you don't need to North align an Alt/Az GOTO as it will calibrate itself when you do the star alignment. Having said that, I always (home) park my scope in an approx Northerly direction and restart from there on the next session. (I'm funny like that!)

Brightest star alignment is simple, but not always too helpful in summer unless you change the magnitude limit. Brightest star is more usable in the darker months when higher mag stars are in abundance. Two star will be more tricky if you don't know your way around the sky.

Guest metroman

Hi,

Tonight, I have been trying to align the scope without much success. I don`t know what I am doing wrong. When I put Jupiter into the hand control, it tells me that it is below the horizon, when in fact it is in full view. I have been looking at Jupiter tonight. I have set my coordinates correctly, but when I set the time, I have it set on +00:00(London UK time) with the summer time setting set to on, but I think that there must be something wrong with my settings. Also, what do I need to set the slew limits too? Thanks.

Martin

Martin, obvious things to checK:

Lat/long entered correctly

Date entered correctly (month/day/year)

Time entered correctly (24 hour)

Was Jupiter one of your alignment targets - or had you already had an "Alignment Successful"?

Slew limits are set to ensure that the scope tube doesn't hit the tripod if you try to view something which is almost overhead. Mine is currently set to +70 deg and -15 deg. You can easily check this in the comfort of your lounge!

• 4 weeks later...

do a google search for your exact latitude and longtitude include seconds, also make sure in the settings that you have EQ NORTH and not eq south set, should only need to do these once. also time needs to be a close as you can get it including seconds.

i have the 130p and allways did a polar align, and it tracked great for an alt/aza mount.

Guest metroman

I have been trying a star alignment tonight without any success. I have the slew limits set to +70° and -15°. I tried with the two star alighnment, with the 1st star being Arcturus, but it was cloudy and I could not see it anyway, so I pressed enter on the hand control, and the 2nd star came up. This was Vega, which I could see okay, so I centred Vega in the scope and pressed enter and it said alignment was successful, but I dont know how, as Arcturus was below the horizon!! but the scope did slew in the correct direction. When I started, I did have the scope pointing north, when I finished, I parked the scope to the home position, and it did stop at roughly North. It seems to me that the coordinates are wrong, but I have checked on google earth, and I have a G1 mobile phone which has GPS and software to give me my coordinates. I even put in jupiter, but it said that it was below the horizon, even though I was looking at it with my binoculars. I will not be beat, but I am getting a bit frustrated now in not being able to align the scope.

Martin

Martin

You should have used the scroll button to list another star not push enter. There is a long list of stars in the database one of which should be visible for you to align on.

You must have got quite close to Arcturus by accident to get successful alignment message.

A proper alignment on two stars should cure the second problem with Jupiter. Do check you have the time in GMT not BST.

Mike

Archived