NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sol 17-3-2021 Ha proms

Ibbo!

Great images. Plenty of prom action there. 🙂 How do you avoid the Newton's Rings when using the Powermate? I have the same scope and camera, (and Powermate) but I've avoided using the PM due to very noticeable rings.

Alan

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Great images. Plenty of prom action there. 🙂 How do you avoid the Newton's Rings when using the Powermate? I have the same scope and camera, (and Powermate) but I've avoided using the PM due to very noticeable rings.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I'm not sure TBH as they are there some days and not others, the only thing I can think is that the tilt shifts a bit each time I set up.

Before the FLIR Chameleon cam went to meet its maker i could not get it to work with the pm and had to have a tilter in for native.

Last year I modified the BF from diagonal to straight through and maybe that imparts a slightly different tilt, or the fact that I use a Coronado rich field unit for double stacking.

Or it coud be the luck of the draw.

• Like 1

Proms are always easier with single stack Ha filters (the wider bandwidth accommodates any Doppler shifts)

I also have NR issues with the PM x2.5 (in-fact with any Barlows) and the double stack SM60 filters. I also use an ASI 1600mm for all my solar.

I noticed that NR are not always visible in individual stacks, but they do show up in animations. Here is a single frame of 5 March 2021 10:07 UTC, followed by the animation that includes it:

sun100725.thumb.png.98a2c8a32524065b7ca2493bbedf8a83.png

sun_210305_10am_ani_full.gif.01ff1d48ee9b8968a5e7d38997ba5550.gif

In the animation they clearly stand out because they move over the surface. It is recommended to add a tilt adjuster to get rid of the NR, but I have not tried that yet.

Nicolàs

• Like 2