Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mandel-Wilson 3: Volcano nebula - northern part

gorann

This is the first light with my second RASA 8 and it could have gone better. I realized too late that both collimation and camera distance were off so I first regarded this data to be crap, and focused my attention at the data I had from my other RASA the same night. This morning I had another look at it and decided to try to save it by some radical processing treatment of the stars. It is still not an image to pixel-peep, especially in the corners. However, it contains some nice Integrated Flux Nebulosity (IFN) and I am glad I gave it a chance.

About a week ago I imaged the central part of the Volcano Nebula near M81 and M82. The part shown here is just outside and to the north of that image-field. It contains plenty of both reddish and gray IFN, similar to the IFN I imaged with my other RASA the same night (posted yesterday). That one was from the southernmost part of the Volcano Nebula.

Interestingly, also like in the previous image the reddish IFN does not show much structure while the grayish IFN is quite filamentous. Obviously they are two different things.

The new RASA 8 is on my Mesu mount (so the Esprits are now in their boxes) and equipped with an ASI2600MC. Gain was set to 100 and I managed to grab 53 x 4 min of exposures.

592060878_20210317IFNnearNGC2810RASAPS25smallSign.thumb.jpg.48851f2df17433d3499d9ebd508e0d1d.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-03-19 kl. 14.57.22.png

20210316_211653_resized.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 6

It always amazes me  how deep you can go in such a small amount of time,

you have certainly grabbed some nice data and have processed it nice it to draw out the faint stuff,

Is you plan to hit one target with both Rasa's or go on there separate ways and get two targets in one night.

Must be nice to have them sort of options.

very nice set up you have there.

Nicely done 

Paul

5 minutes ago, ultranova said:

It always amazes me  how deep you can go in such a small amount of time,

you have certainly grabbed some nice data and have processed it nice it to draw out the faint stuff,

Is you plan to hit one target with both Rasa's or go on there separate ways and get two targets in one night.

Must be nice to have them sort of options.

very nice set up you have there.

Nicely done 

Paul

Thanks a lot Paul!

Many options with the two RASAs:hello2:. My original plan was to put them side by side on the iOptron CEM70 and I am waiting for an adjustable dovetail clamp for a dual rig. I can then use them for an instant 2-panel mosaic, for collecting both RGB and NB on the same target, or for just increasing the integration time, but on a long clear night that is probably overkill with a RASA. Right now when I have them on separate mounts I have the freedom of chosing widely separated objects.

• Like 1