NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nikon Z6 for astrophotography

_Belial

HI all,

I've got a NIkon Z6 lying around (unmodified) and want to use it for a portable astrophotography setup. I Was wondering has anyone else used one of these and if so are you connecting it direct to the camera or using the FTZ mount adapter? Is there any advantage of one over the other at all and how much back focus do you need with a Z6 please?

Thanks in advance

With regards to the adapter, if you are mounting the camera to a scope then I imagine you'd need the FTZ or equivalent as most Astro manufacturers use the F mount. I'm not aware of any directly mounted Z cameras but you'll have to check.

The back focus of the F mount is 46.5 mm and the Z mount is 16 mm. The best mount is the one you can actually use so you may have to get a Z to F adapter. There are a few about other than the FTZ.

The Z6 has a dual gain sensor and that means at ISO 800 there is a dramatic drop in read noise and a slight improvement in dynamic range.

If using the Z6 with a scope rather than a lens then expose so that the histogram main hump is centred rather than the usual expose one third the way in from the the left. This has the effect of raising signal and getting rid of any noise rings.

I've used my Z6 for starscape type images and find it very easy to get good results.

Dave.

Thank you so much Dave,

I got in touch with FLO and they recommended some adapter I could use so I've ordered that and hoping it'll arrive tomorrow so I can have a play next time we get clear skies :)

Thanks for the info  on the ISO drop, I'll have a look at that. I had an ASI183MC which made life much easier before but this is for a more portable setup I can keep in a backpack and as my Z6 is usually in there I want to try using that instead. I@m guessing as it's not astro modified there'd be no benefit at all in me using my L-Extreme in the imaging train anywhere?

• Like 1

If you've already got the l-Extreme there would be no harm in letting it run one night while you're doing other things. I doubt you'd be over impressed with the results in comparison to the 183 but most of these modern mirrorless cameras seem to let a bit more red through than you'd think. 

Just as an aside, you may find it a good idea to get another battery but as you'll soon see, they are a bit expensive. MPB photographic sell the EN-EL15b second hand from time to time and the difference in price is dramatic. Keep going back and checking. Other EN-EL15 batteries work ok but only the b and c can charge in camera. I find it a boon that I can charge my battery in my camera bag with the supplied USB cable as I walk around finding nice spots to image.

Have fun,

Dave.

1 minute ago, alacant said:

Hi

How about keeping it simple (and economical!)? This adapter allows you to use standard telescope fittings, just as you would with a F. All that wonderful back focus to play with:)

Cheers

I've not seen one of those before. Mainly because I haven't looked of course but nice one alacant and thanks for the heads up.

Dave.

2 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

How about keeping it simple (and economical!)? This adapter allows you to use standard telescope fittings, just as you would with a F. All that wonderful back focus to play with:)

Cheers

ahh I did indeed order one of those from FLO :)

2 minutes ago, davew said:

If you've already got the l-Extreme there would be no harm in letting it run one night while you're doing other things. I doubt you'd be over impressed with the results in comparison to the 183 but most of these modern mirrorless cameras seem to let a bit more red through than you'd think. 

Just as an aside, you may find it a good idea to get another battery but as you'll soon see, they are a bit expensive. MPB photographic sell the EN-EL15b second hand from time to time and the difference in price is dramatic. Keep going back and checking. Other EN-EL15 batteries work ok but only the b and c can charge in camera. I find it a boon that I can charge my battery in my camera bag with the supplied USB cable as I walk around finding nice spots to image.

Have fun,

Dave.

ooh I'm not expecting it to beat the 183, just want something portable as my other setup took ages to get setup and where I use it I'm really restricted to the West/SouthWest so wanted something I can throw in a backpack, take in the car a bit further away and get something different which I can't se form home (i.e anything W/SW).

Good point on the battery though, I actually just assumed that the el15b would let me shoot + charge at the same time, is that not he case then? In which case yep, I will need to get another battery :)

Thanks so much for the advice.

11 minutes ago, _Belial said:

I actually just assumed that the el15b would let me shoot + charge at the same time

No. That would be the z6ii when used with a EN-EL15c. I can use the system you talk about with a little Sony I have and it's even better that way. On the other hand, if you're the type that switches your camera off to cool down between shots then a hooked up external battery would charge the camera each time. And warm up the camera again ! 🤔

I've never actually had to change batteries in the field yet even if I time-lapse and then do a few more shots. 

Dave.

Edited by davew