Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cawthron Atkinson Observatory New Zealand

moondog

I joined the local Nelson AS when I came out here last year. They had just moved their observatory further out of town to combat LP and to link in with a school. They have public viewing nights when the moon is visible. Last night was one of these meetings. Few pics of the obs. while waiting for dusk.

The scope is a 5 ins Cooke refractor that had been refurbished for the new obs. The AS have done an excellent job and the open nights are well supported by the public. Other members take their scopes as well. Last night I took the loan orange tube C8. Web cam connected to C8 and image on laptop. At one point I had a dozen people round the lappy looking at Gassendi.

I will be sorry to leave this friendly AS when I come back to the UK in March. :crybaby:

MD

post-12755-133877354269_thumb.jpg

post-12755-133877354274_thumb.jpg

post-12755-13387735428_thumb.jpg

post-12755-133877354286_thumb.jpg

Dave, it's the sort of scope I dreamed of owning when I was a kid. Such a 'proper' scope - all that brass, metal and machinery!

I think Cooke must have exported hundreds of these scopes at one time. Most of the other AS's in New Zealand seem to have a 5 ins Cooke. They still give good Solar System views though.

John

A superb looking setup MD. The Observatory looks magnificent, and the Cooke refractor speaks for itself. a real beauty.

It looks like a clockwork drive system too which is a work of art with the falling weight system.

You will regret having to say goodbye to it all mate.But not for good hopefully.

Ron. :(

Archived