NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Night Sky Atlas/Maps.

I have just been enjoying some stargazing in a good dark sky site. I did get the chance to observe my favourite objects that for me are easily found. But after that I began to pan the telescope around the sky and found quite a number of star clusters and faint fuzzy objects. But I could not identify them. Mobile telephone apps are ok. But you have to keep expanding them in the hope of identifying.

Is the a weather proof star atlas/maps that can be along side you with a red torch. I have a Cambridge star atlas. But it would be ruined quickly if used outside.

What do people use?

I've printed out specific maps from https://www.deepskywatch.com/deepsky-atlas-release1.html

and put them in plastic A$ pockets, or if I think I'll want them again, laminated them. The desktop version of stellarium can be used to make printouts, (see a very recent thread by Spile !) and I've recently downloaded and had a play with Cartes du Ciel  https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/start which looks very handy indeed to build maps with your own preferences.

For durable, waterproof but non laminated so less bulky, stiff and shiny printouts , you could consider waterproof paper like toughprint or rite in the rain (I think the latter may be photocopy/laser only) both are very good for outdoors walking maps ! Quite expensive per sheet though.

Heather

I use the Interstellarum Desk Edition but I place it in a large plastic box to protect it. When required at the telescope I place it on a large music stand - find the object then return it to the box. I have used this method for years and the star atlas is still okay.

Dew and the need for a red torch mean that apart from the method below, I don't use a printed atlas "in the field".

If I am scanning the sky and I come across something interesting, I tend to use SkyEye which like a stellar SatNav is attached to my telescope. It normally usually comes up with the goods. 

If I am targeting an object, I use print-outs from Stellarium as described here.