SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help eyepiece selection

macipod

One surprisingly good eyepiece (and cheap!) is the 11mm 1.25" Ultra Wide Angle 80° eyepiece that can be found at places such as

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Telescopes-Ascension.asp?s=e8676b90-6acc-45cc-a551-f29a02cdaa&p=0_10_5_1_1_0

Works great in a slow scope such as an SCT and only costs £35.00 delivered. While it's no Nagler, it comes surprising close in a slow f/10 scope, just don't try it in a fast refractor. They also do a 16mm but the 11mm is the best of the bunch.

John

What sort of thing would you like to look at? Depending how much of a priority high power viewing is there are a number of options.

If you've got a 25mm eyepiece and 2x barlow (giving you 12.5mm as well) then it seems to me that the best bet would be something in the 14-18mm range which will barlow to 7-9mm effective focal length for a good 'high power' option. There are a few Plossl eyepieces in that range that aren't too expensive, Meade's 15mm is fine and TeleVue's 15mm or 17mm are very nice, if a bit more expensive. Another option if you can raise a bit more money is the 17mm Hyperion, probably around £50 used and would work very well in your 'scope.

A last possibility that springs to mind is the B/TMB 9mm planetary, wouldn't barlow usefully but a nice high-power eyepiece at around £40-50 used I think, hard to find though.

The Fullerscopes Super Plossls advertised (not by me) here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,37638.0.html

would work very nicely in your scope - they are very similar to Widescan III eyepieces in their design - they have a field of view the same as the famous Tele Vue Nagler eyepieces and work very well in F/10 scopes.

John

Archived