Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using computer guiding apt plate solve phd

Hi guys a really simple question to those that know. 

When I set up my tripod scope etc this is how I do it .

Set tripod and scope balanced then polar align.

Then set the synscan to align 3 stars. 

Once aligned I then skew to object and start to image. .

Question is do I still need to do that is I'm using apt PhD and plate solve with carte de sol or just point it rough 

Thanks in advance 

Regards Baz

I no longer use the star alignment on my Losmandy G11 with Gemini to synchronise the mount now that I am using plate solving.  I simply ‘Cold Start’ the Gemini, slew to an area of sky and then plate solve and sync using ASTAP or Plate Solve2 via SGP.  I find that sets me up well for the session, with subsequent plate solves via SGP in order to centre objects generally being spot on.

As well as this approach working, I find it is necessary with the G11/Gemini as a Gemini mount alignment model built using ‘Telescope Align’ (which I suspect is the Gemini version of aligning three stars) does not tend to play nicely with plate solvers when Plate solving is being used to centre objects.

Hi Baz,

No, no need for a star alignment with plate solving. The star alignment just improves the go-to accuracy (and in the case of s-star, cone error), which you'd already have with plate solving.

So, setup tripod, level mount, balance, polar align, calibrate PHD, slew to target, about 30 secs. of exposure (at least with me) of where the telescope is pointing, then engage pointcraft.

- Andy -