NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone using a coma corrector with 150PDS / similar

Hi all,

As above, for those that are using the 150PDS (or similar) - are you using a coma corrector when imaging?

I am using a 533mc pro and thinking about going down Baader MPCC route. Just keen to see what others are using and their experiences.

Thanks,

Jon

13 hours ago, masjstovel said:

I've got the TS-Optics 2" 3-element MaxField Newtonian Coma Corrector for my 150PDS. I'm satisfied with it as the corners are not stretched in my opinion.

Couple of images shot with this corrector on a 150PDS: 

NGC281SHO-Recovered_redgone_jpg.jpg

SHO farge Final PS_lillabort_jpg.jpg

Lovely images. What camera did you use to capture these?

I will take a look at the TS CC.

What made you go forthe TS CC over say the Baader MPCC which seems to be very popular?

5 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Lovely images. What camera did you use to capture these?

I will take a look at the TS CC.

What made you go forthe TS CC over say the Baader MPCC which seems to be very popular?

Thank you. They're shot with ASI1600MM Pro cooled. There are some minor stretching in lower left corner of the last image, but thats because of mirror-tilt/bad collimation i believe.

To be honest, i dont remember 100% why i didnt went for the MPCC, but i think it was some people saying it wasnt perfect for F/5 (150PDS) when i did my research. I believe it was that, but it was definately something about feedback regarding compitability that made me change my mind since i had the 150PDS.

Edited by masjstovel

2 hours ago, masjstovel said:

Thank you. They're shot with ASI1600MM Pro cooled. There are some minor stretching in lower left corner of the last image, but thats because of mirror-tilt/bad collimation i believe.

To be honest, i dont remember 100% why i didnt went for the MPCC, but i think it was some people saying it wasnt perfect for F/5 (150PDS) when i did my research. I believe it was that, but it was definately something about feedback regarding compitability that made me change my mind since i had the 150PDS.

Thank you. That is good to know. I will take a look :)

No issues with the baader here. There's a review or a bunch of the coma correctors if you search Google (although I can't find it now :( ) but I haven't seen anyone particularly take offense to the baader once you factor in the price.

7 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

No issues with the baader here. There's a review or a bunch of the coma correctors if you search Google (although I can't find it now :( ) but I haven't seen anyone particularly take offense to the baader once you factor in the price.

Thanks. Are you using your Baader on a 150PDS also?

1 hour ago, Jonny_H said:

Thanks. Are you using your Baader on a 150PDS also?

I've got the 130PDS and 250PDS. It's been great on the 130PDS, haven't really got any good data from the 250PDS but I've not heard any reports that performance varies with aperture size.

On 11/03/2021 at 18:11, Jonny_H said:

are you using a coma corrector

Hi

Yes. With Bresser's version of the 150.

The Baader cc didn't cover aps-c properly -astigmatism mainly-  so we went with the 4 element gpu. This has the advantage for us that it also gives corner to corner with our pn208, f3.9.

With the 533 however, you're using only a small fraction of the field of view so most ccs should be fine. You may just be ok without, correcting any imperfections in software with the distinct advantage of the light not traversing any glass en route to the sensor.

Cheers and HTH.

Edited by alacant

2 hours ago, rnobleeddy said:

I've got the 130PDS and 250PDS. It's been great on the 130PDS, haven't really got any good data from the 250PDS but I've not heard any reports that performance varies with aperture size.

Thanks for the response.

I can't imagine the 150 being too dissimilar to the 130 re: using the Baader.

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

Yes. With Bresser's version of the 150.

The Baader cc didn't cover aps-c properly -astigmatism mainly-  so we went with the 4 element gpu. This has the advantage for us that it also gives corner to corner with our pn208, f3.9.

With the 533 however, you're using only a small fraction of the field of view so most ccs should be fine. You may just be ok without, correcting any imperfections in software with the distinct advantage of the light not traversing any glass en route to the sensor.

Cheers and HTH.

Thanks. I am seeing a bit of coma in my current images hence why I have started looking at cc's. You are right though about using software which is probably doable.