Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New idea for wide-field set-up

I have been using my Sigma 50-100 mm F/1.8 zoom for wide-field imaging, and whilst it works well enough on comets, using my Canon EOS 80D, the smaller pixels and longer exposure times I use for DSO imaging with the ASI183MM-Pro show up deficiencies. As I have a Canon 100 mm F/2.8 macro, I would like to use that instead. It doesn't have the tripod attachment, so I have cobbled together this

IMG_20210311_134655.thumb.jpg.4664ab06a8f08a9f7750bdd7690b109c.jpg

using a pair of guide-scope rings. Now all I need are clear skies. I will be giving up a whole f-stop (and a bit), but hopefully the image quality will be better. Or perhaps I should get that Samyang 135 mm F/2.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have been using my Sigma 50-100 mm F/1.8 zoom for wide-field imaging, and whilst it works well enough on comets, using my Canon EOS 80D, the smaller pixels and longer exposure times I use for DSO imaging with the ASI183MM-Pro show up deficiencies. As I have a Canon 100 mm F/2.8 macro, I would like to use that instead. It doesn't have the tripod attachment, so I have cobbled together this

IMG_20210311_134655.thumb.jpg.4664ab06a8f08a9f7750bdd7690b109c.jpg

using a pair of guide-scope rings. Now all I need are clear skies. I will be giving up a whole f-stop (and a bit), but hopefully the image quality will be better. Or perhaps I should get that Samyang 135 mm F/2.

I have been thinking of trying something like this.  Am I right in assuming you have bought an EOS Lens to M42 adaptor to get the lens mounted?  I am keen to give this a try...

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

I have been thinking of trying something like this.  Am I right in assuming you have bought an EOS Lens to M42 adaptor to get the lens mounted?  I am keen to give this a try...

It is an EOS to T2 adapter from ZWO, which allows the use of their filter wheels with their cameras with the correct chip to flange distance

• Like 1

22 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Or perhaps I should get that Samyang 135 mm F/2.

Looks good, but what about the Askar FMA180 f/4.5 Astrograph Lens, it's a little cheaper than the Samyang, 

I'm in 2 minds which of these 2 to get,

2 hours ago, JemC said:

Looks good, but what about the Askar FMA180 f/4.5 Astrograph Lens, it's a little cheaper than the Samyang, 

I'm in 2 minds which of these 2 to get,

The Askar has a much narrower field of view, and is too close to my Canon 200 mm F/2.8 L lens, the Samyang is much closer to the 100 mm, and much faster than the Askar. And then of course there is the Sigma 105 mm F/1.4. A real beast, but I am not sure it performs well at full aperture. 

• Like 1