Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what software for your all sky cam please

iwols

Hi all just putting together an all sky camera with a asi178mc camera but just wondered what software you used to capture/replay the images,sharpcap any good or is there something better cheers

It depends what you want to do - do you want to just use it a monitor? Long exposures? Timelapses?

There are various options depending on the controlling hardware (Windows PC? Linux? MacOS? Rpi?).

I have tried all sorts but the best software / hardware combination I have found so far is a Raspberry PI 4 with Allsky software written by Thomas Jacquin https://github.com/thomasjacquin/allsky

It does pretty much everything I need, but like all software, has room for improvement. It also gives me the added bonus of running the PI via a PoE cable, so no local PSU needed or short USB cable to a computer.

It all depends on what you want to do with the images ultimately.

Sharpcap is a good one to start with as it's free and runs probably on most pcs / laptops. If you want a more automated solution, then get used to Sharpcap first then decide which way you want to go.

Incidentally, I have the 178MC and it's great for allsky!

• Thanks 1

tha

4 hours ago, Jonk said:

It depends what you want to do - do you want to just use it a monitor? Long exposures? Timelapses?

There are various options depending on the controlling hardware (Windows PC? Linux? MacOS? Rpi?).

I have tried all sorts but the best software / hardware combination I have found so far is a Raspberry PI 4 with Allsky software written by Thomas Jacquin https://github.com/thomasjacquin/allsky

It does pretty much everything I need, but like all software, has room for improvement. It also gives me the added bonus of running the PI via a PoE cable, so no local PSU needed or short USB cable to a computer.

It all depends on what you want to do with the images ultimately.

Sharpcap is a good one to start with as it's free and runs probably on most pcs / laptops. If you want a more automated solution, then get used to Sharpcap first then decide which way you want to go.

Incidentally, I have the 178MC and it's great for allsky!

thanks jonk that reply is better than i could have asked as i have a pi in my obsy with a lan connection,which i would love to use,so you use the 178mc with the pi then and not the dedicated pi cam,does this software do all 3 of the above and does it connect to your pc,got giddy now ,any examples or further advice/suggestions on your set up would be great thanks

Yes this software shows you a 'live' view every x seconds, saves long exposures (i.e. 60 seconds, long enough for allsky, I use 30 seconds) and spits out a timelapse in the morning, along with a keogram and star trails if clear enough.

For example:

keogram-20210210.thumb.jpg.4cb62d9564c28d53f5fce836b17ba946.jpg

If you have a PI connected to a network, then the videos and images stored on the PI (recommend a large SD card or USB drive) you can access the files using filezilla from your PC.

If you are comfortable with Linux (I'm very much a beginner) then this should all be straightforwards.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jonk said:

Yes this software shows you a 'live' view every x seconds, saves long exposures (i.e. 60 seconds, long enough for allsky, I use 30 seconds) and spits out a timelapse in the morning, along with a keogram and star trails if clear enough.

For example:

If you have a PI connected to a network, then the videos and images stored on the PI (recommend a large SD card or USB drive) you can access the files using filezilla from your PC.

If you are comfortable with Linux (I'm very much a beginner) then this should all be straightforwards.

well downloaded and tried with my temp setup and wow this software does the job superbly def upgrade to the pro version thanks again

regarding the pi i have one setup ruinning an alarm and rain sensor at the minute that my son programmed which i dont really want to disturb,but maybe run another pi eventually if i can work out how to do it,im a none starter with pi,how large is your pi drive and how much imaging can you store cheers

I went the whole hog and bought a 256gb M.2 drive and a usb3 enclosure. You can then set the pi up to boot from usb rather than sd card, which is more reliable and a lot quicker!

If you want to spend some cash, go to thepihut and you’ll find most of what you need.

I have my allsky to remove files after 7 days, but I suspect that doesn’t even use half of the available space so could push it out if I wanted.

I tend to only keep the timelapse bids, keograms and startrails which are written to a network location in the morning. If I want individual frames, I need to go and look for them and save separately. 

On 11/03/2021 at 20:14, Jonk said:

For example:

hi jonk how did you import this clip size wise cjheers iwols

Nice - a dome will always cause reflections, even at night especially from the moon or local light sources.

My clip above didn't have a dome, just the lens on top of a tripod, but ultimately I'll have a decent dome and also unwanted reflections.

Is that the 178MC? What lens do you have?

• Like 1

Looking good - you've used raw files instead of jpgs I'm guessing? Hence the bayer pattern.

There are some hot pixels, which is enevitable unless a cooled camera is used, but you're definitely on the right track.

What software did you use for this one?

On 18/03/2021 at 22:43, Jonk said:

Looking good - you've used raw files instead of jpgs I'm guessing? Hence the bayer pattern.

There are some hot pixels, which is enevitable unless a cooled camera is used, but you're definitely on the right track.

What software did you use for this one?

Hi jonk sorry for the late reply I used allskeye great piece of software