Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New focuser improves image of M81

almcl

Managed to grab a couple of hours with the newly fitted Moonlight focuser, which has made a huge difference to the stability of the imaging train and somewhat reduced the tilt.  

So here is M81.  Still got problems with flats overcorrecting  and not sure about the colours, but was quite surprised at the detail.

Comments and suggestions most welcome.

M81.thumb.jpg.e89e609f60e5e16db50dbe7f0f3c7ee9.jpg

• Like 13

Sorry, should have put some details in the original post.

This was using the SW 190 MN with the ASI 2600MC ,   

42 x 180 sec lights offset 50, gain 100, -10°C

30 flats

30 dark flats

30 bias (don't understand why, but these are necessary to mitigate the over-correction of the flats)

Approx 40% crop

Edited by almcl

Lovely M81 and the colour works for me.

Interested to hear about your focuser, I'm guessing you previously had the SW dual speed focuser (not good!).  My MN190 has the much derided original single speed focuser which I think is abosolutely brilliant.  Very solid, carries a decent weight and it is a piece of cake to achieve a precise focus.  That Moonlight is a big jump in quality compared with the SW dual speed slippy slidy thing.

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the kind comments.

Yes, this 190 MN came with a dual speed focuser.  The only kind thing to say about it was that it had lots of travel.  Unfortunately it had single point compression rings for securing eyepiece/T-adapter and extension draw tube and even when these were tightened with pliers, there was an enormous amount of slop in the system.  Added to this the focus lock screw introduced even more tilt and the weight of an OAG plus ASI 2600 MC hanging off all of this did not make for happy imaging.  

The Moonlight has improved this by an order of magnitude.