Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My knob's dropped off!

That got your attention, didn't it?

I've managed to lose my accessory tray knob. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? It's a Meade 390. I can't just buy a bog standard nut either because it's a US size (I think).

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

Edited by StuartT

13 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Thanks. I will need to try and estimate the size in imperial, I guess and maybe buy a few around the estimated size (as I don't have a caliper)

I've used this page as a guide for measuring the size of missing bolts and nuts while repairing my Tasco EQ mount.

• Thanks 1

Hi Stuart,

I have a Meade lx65 mount and tripod. I work in engineering and am in the process of making an adapter plate for the tripod so I can attach different mounts to it. I have had to drill and tap some threads,  and on my tripod, all the threads are, being American, - UNC . UNC has a thread angle of 60 degrees and British Standard Whitworth has a thread angle of 55 degrees, so BSW will fit but not really vice versa. I would personally use UNC , the sizes are imperial ie 1/4  5/16. 3/8. etc. eBay sell UNC nuts and bolts. If you have a digital vernier that would help. 
Hope that’s some help.

Dean.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeanCJ said:

Hi Stuart,

I have a Meade lx65 mount and tripod. I work in engineering and am in the process of making an adapter plate for the tripod so I can attach different mounts to it. I have had to drill and tap some threads,  and on my tripod, all the threads are, being American, - UNC . UNC has a thread angle of 60 degrees and British Standard Whitworth has a thread angle of 55 degrees, so BSW will fit but not really vice versa. I would personally use UNC , the sizes are imperial ie 1/4  5/16. 3/8. etc. eBay sell UNC nuts and bolts. If you have a digital vernier that would help. 
Hope that’s some help.

Dean.

thanks. I tried using an adjustable spanner as a caliper and the bolt seems to be 7mm diameter. No idea what that corresponds to in old money (I never did understand Imperial measurements - all those silly fractions!) 

As for thread angle, I didn't even think of that! I assumed all bolts were the same. 

this could be quite a project!

Edited by StuartT