NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2021 oppositions of Jupiter & Saturn.

Sorry if this has been posted already. I did enjoy looking at Jupiter and Saturn during 2020. There has been talk about how poorly positioned these planets are going to be over the next few years. But planning to see these two at their oppositions this year. I am shocked to see how low their maximum culmination will be. Am I correct in thinking that Saturn will only rise 10° above the horizon in August 2021?

We will have to be planning where there is an unobscured view of that horizon.

5 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Sorry if this has been posted already. I did enjoy looking at Jupiter and Saturn during 2020. There has been talk about how poorly positioned these planets are going to be over the next few years. But planning to see these two at their oppositions this year. I am shocked to see how low their maximum culmination will be. Am I correct in thinking that Saturn will only rise 10° above the horizon in August 2021?

We will have to be planning where there is an unobscured view of that horizon.

Thanks @dweller25 for posting the chart. Martin, the chart is correct so Saturn is around 20 degrees at Opposition, a bit better than last time, not as bad as you thought. Doesn’t get back to its proper best until 2032, but it’s getting better all the time until then of course.

Here's my rendition. To calculate the local altitude above the horizon at meridian transit (essentially culmination) if you are north of the tropics, subtract your latitude from 90˚ and add the declination. For example, if your latitude is +51.5˚, then at opposition this year Saturn will get as high as 90˚ - 51.5˚ - 18.4˚ = 20.1˚. The altitudes in the chart are for my latitude of +42˚ and corrected for atmospheric refraction, but the declinations are global.

Saturn-Dec.JPG.bbcc34bc5bea3f0c59cd0b2682ffd41d.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1