Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venturing into the world of filters and eyepieces...

Hi all! 

I've been stumbling my way around this hobby (observing, currently, with a view to branching into asteophotography) since November (real newbie, yay). I have yet to buy/try any filters or any eyepieces beyond my starting one. My aim when starting out was to try and wait until astronomy clubs reopened/meetings were allowed so I could politely beg the wisdom of others face to face, but that hasn't happened and is unlikely to happen while I am still on home turf. So, I'm turning to you lovely people once again! 

What filters do you consider essential? Especially those of you with short refractors, what do you find really works for you? For both observing and beginner imaging? I've seen people swear by certain filters (Optolong L-Pro, Baader Neodymium, Astronomik UHC etc), but I have no idea what is suitable for my scopes. 

Also, my current (only) eyepiece is an Altair 8-24mm zoom, which I love. But does anyone recommend any other (relatively cheap) eyepieces/brands that I could take a glance at? 

I currently have an Altair 102ED-R and a ZS73, the 102 being my first ever scope (love the thing) and the ZS73 being purchased as an imaging prospect + a very lightweight travel scope (I'm moving abroad soon, wanted something to take with me on my travels). 

Assuming you only have a 1.25" diagonal, I would recommend buying a 32mm Plossl.  The Astro Essentials and Revelation versions are both good and affordable.  It will provide the widest true field of view possible in a 1.25" eyepiece.  The 24mm end of your zoom is rather narrow, so the 32mm Plossl can help with locating objects and then centering them for the zoom.

A good OIII or UHC filter would be my choice for first filter purchase.  Astronomik and several others sell reputable versions.  Avoid the super cheap ones, they don't work very well in my experience.

If you want higher powers with your zoom, most folks here recommend the Baader Q-Barlow 2.25x Barlow as a decent performer for a reasonable price.

11 hours ago, Louis D said:

Assuming you only have a 1.25" diagonal, I would recommend buying a 32mm Plossl.  The Astro Essentials and Revelation versions are both good and affordable.  It will provide the widest true field of view possible in a 1.25" eyepiece.  The 24mm end of your zoom is rather narrow, so the 32mm Plossl can help with locating objects and then centering them for the zoom.

A good OIII or UHC filter would be my choice for first filter purchase.  Astronomik and several others sell reputable versions.  Avoid the super cheap ones, they don't work very well in my experience.

If you want higher powers with your zoom, most folks here recommend the Baader Q-Barlow 2.25x Barlow as a decent performer for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be looking at getting that eyepiece. 

I forgot to mention that I have a cracking little finderscope as well, and a Baader Q barlow already. 

I'll also look at those filters. Definitely had a UHC recommended to me before, so I'll have a good shop around and see what's available. I'm under bortle 5-6 skies. 

I consider a moon filter (ND) rather essential as even a 1/3 lit moon is too bright for my eyes, even if I keep the main cap on the OTA and only remove the small cap.  Look at the variable / circular polarising ones, they can offer a bit extra compared to a plain one.

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 03:19, jonathan said:

I consider a moon filter (ND) rather essential as even a 1/3 lit moon is too bright for my eyes, even if I keep the main cap on the OTA and only remove the small cap.  Look at the variable / circular polarising ones, they can offer a bit extra compared to a plain one.

Look into getting an entry level binoviewer.  I find it comfortable to view even the full moon in binovision unfiltered.  The discomfort in monovision has something to do with the huge disparity in brightness between the open eye and the closed eye.  It's as if the brain's image processing center just can't cope with it.

On 05/03/2021 at 13:40, Zermelo said:

Hello,

This is a recent thread that discusses choosing filters.

Here is a thread that talks about building an eyepiece set.  Here is an alternative way of approaching it.  This is another useful article.

Thank you for taking the time to link threads for me! Probably should’ve done my own research a bit better, but my searches came up with so many threads and they were usually not relevant so I gave up pretty quickly. I appreciate your own effort on my behalf. 

On 06/03/2021 at 09:19, jonathan said:

Thank you for the advice! I’m looking at a variable polarising filter. The moon is bright for sure! It doesn’t hurt my eyes really, not until it’s full/nearly full, and even then the irritation is minor. But the filter should hopefully remove even the minor discomfort. 

14 hours ago, LoveFromGallifrey said:

Thank you for taking the time to link threads for me! Probably should’ve done my own research a bit better, but my searches came up with so many threads and they were usually not relevant so I gave up pretty quickly. I appreciate your own effort on my behalf. 

No problem, I have the advantage of having seen the threads before.
Then it's just a question of whether my powers of recall are still any good, like that card game, "pairs" - I'm sure I saw another king around here somewhere ...