Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any ideas what went wrong?

alan potts

I am not expert, far from it but generally I do turn out a reasonable image. I use here an 071 OSC, on an APO at 800mm F/L, focus is a tad out but not miles and I have an Astronomik L2 UV/IR filter screwed toe Hutech flatener.

I use DSS and no setting were altered from the last 10 images at least, Any ideas what's wrong as I see something is? This is 20x 4 minutes at Unity settings with Darks etc, all images look fine on their own.

Autosave002.thumb.jpg.0cf733ed8f7c10653bc15201a1be852d.jpg

Hope someone can help, I have tried a few combinations of with and without Flats etc, same result.

Alan

31 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Using my mobile phone there is nothing obviously wrong, the right star has a violet centre but what are you seeing that prompted this post?

Everything is red and I can't get out of it, the star before I recall coming out yellow. I have not stretched it at all just balanced the background and it still looks red, I've never seen anything like this before in all my efforts which generally are not bad

I found when I got unusual results I took a look at the FITS headers and found that the gain and offset had changed between my dark and light frames and that causes all sorts of strange things to happen. One I took some replacement darks for the same settings everything was fine again. Maybe worth a check.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grant Fribbens said:

I found when I got unusual results I took a look at the FITS headers and found that the gain and offset had changed between my dark and light frames and that causes all sorts of strange things to happen. One I took some replacement darks for the same settings everything was fine again. Maybe worth a check.

I have had a problem with my mouse and it's been double clicking even when I only single click. I am wondering if it has done something unknown to me. Just stacked and tried a set of 13 images of Leo Triplet and that looks fine. I have to say my Flat don't look right, way too dark and it wasn't.

Alan

8 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I have had a problem with my mouse and it's been double clicking even when I only single click. I am wondering if it has done something unknown to me. Just stacked and tried a set of 13 images of Leo Triplet and that looks fine. I have to say my Flat don't look right, way too dark and it wasn't.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I bet the mouse issue gets frustrating. I was taking some flats the other day and I got a strange circle shape in the middle of the image and I do not know what was causing it. But I altered the position on the LED tracing pad with a sheet of A4 and ran the process again and everything was fine. I have found that when I use SharpCap and use some of its sliders it can alter the settings of the main imaging camera. With the beta versions of APT and N.I.N.A you can set them to set the gain and offset prior to imaging and that has helped. I once found I had different gain and offset settings to my dark library and APP certainly made the stacked image look rather wierd.

Grant

Edited by Grant Fribbens
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Grant Fribbens said:

Hi Alan,

I bet the mouse issue gets frustrating. I was taking some flats the other day and I got a strange circle shape in the middle of the image and I do not know what was causing it. But I altered the position on the LED tracing pad with a sheet of A4 and ran the process again and everything was fine. I have found that when I use SharpCap and use some of its sliders it can alter the settings of the main imaging camera. With the beta versions of APT and N.I.N.A you can set them to set the gain and offset prior to imaging and that has helped. I once found I had different gain and offset settings to my dark library and APP certainly made the stacked image look rather wierd.

Grant

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, I change my off set for this run as I noticed it was set on 60 where as I normally have it on 20, this may have something to do with it, just now trying a stacking with no Cal frames. Last night was superb here and everything that I could do wrong, i did.

Alan

11 minutes ago, Grant Fribbens said:

Hi Alan,

Grant

Its fine, it's the off-set, thanks a lot you've solved the problem.

Alan

• Like 1