NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

T Ring - Whats wrong

I put a t ring on my nikon D5500, hook it up to the scope, but shutter button presses down, but doesnt release, so wont take a shot

Makes no difference what mode camera is in, cant be the camera, as a teleconverter works just fine

Is it the wrong t-ring, it said nikon when I brought it. I can view through the scope with the camera, but cant take a photo

Any ideas ?

Edited by Frank the Troll

1 minute ago, Frank the Troll said:

I put a t ring on my nikon D5500, hook it up to the scope, but shutter button presses down, but doesnt release, so wont take a shot

Makes no difference what mode camera is in, cant be the camera, as a teleconverter works just fine

Is it the wrong t-ring, it said nikon when I brought it

Any ideas ?

Is there a custom function in the cameras menu to allow the shutter to be fired without a lens attached ? A t-ring doesn't normally have the electronic connections that a lens or teleconverter has so the camera can't fire the shutter. 

I think (as it's been a couple of years since I've had my hands on a D5x00 series), in the custom menu, setting A1, change that option to "release" and then set the focus to AF-C or Manual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCN_Sean said:

I think (as it's been a couple of years since I've had my hands on a D5x00 series), in the custom menu, setting A1, change that option to "release" and then set the focus to AF-C or Manual.

Not finding anything in the camera settings or manual that helps :(

9 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

Not finding anything in the camera settings or manual that helps :(

Just downloaded the manual and had a look, there's a section in there right down on page 351 which goes through the steps of if the camera won't fire off when the shutter is pressed and then on page 314 - 317 is what modes are available with what types of lenses.

The one that usually catches me out on the 700/810 I use is forgetting to turn the mode on the camera to fully manual exposure.

1 hour ago, BCN_Sean said:

Just downloaded the manual and had a look, there's a section in there right down on page 351 which goes through the steps of if the camera won't fire off when the shutter is pressed and then on page 314 - 317 is what modes are available with what types of lenses.

Not finding the menu options I need

3 hours ago, Frank the Troll said:

Not finding the menu options I need

I can't really help you with that one I'm afraid, it's been two years since I last had one of these in my hands and I can't remember if there's an "extended menu" option on it which opens or closes down menu options for just the basics or advanced settings.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/03/2021 at 03:23, Frank the Troll said:

Was it a manual teleconverter with no electrical connections like the T-ring?  Some cameras won't fire if they can't electrically talk to a lens.  Try firing the camera with no lens attached as a test of this theory.

Refer to this link, it may be helpful.   Go to the custom menu and then drop down the autofocus settings.   Click on those and select release, so it will trigger the shutter when you push and not wait for the lens to focus.  It should have settings for af-c and af-s, set both just to be sure.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/981014/Nikon-D5500.html?page=270

Edited by Paulhinthe808