Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

sharp cap polar alignment help with ASI120MM

Hello hope everyone is safe and well? I require some help and advice please as I'm having some issues. I am currently using a ZWO 60MM guide scope with the ASI120mm, now when I use them with phd2 I can get some stars in focus quite easily. Yet when I open sharp cap I've got a black screen tried changing the gain and exposure but still cant seem to pick up anything. I want to use sharp cap for polar alignment so does anyone have any suggestions please? does anyone have the same setup and have the settings for me to try? I'm starting to think there's a setting somewhere within sharp cap that is wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated TIA. 

Try it during day time.  Being careful to *only* have the guide camera connected, and no other image capture software running.  You should only need a very short exposure to get a white screen but with a suitably short exposure it should be possible to get an out-of-focus image of a distant object if the ASI 120 is connected to the uncapped guide scope. 

Does this work?  

If not then what camera does Sharpcap report is connected? And have you got the latest ZWO drivers installed?

(I use Sharpcap 2.9 as it was free and only needed for polar align so if you're using one of the later versions, I may not be much more help.)

Edited by almcl
  • Thanks 1

Yeah lol I'd taken all the caps off. Easy mistake to make i know. I forgot to take cap off polar scope other night 15 mins later i realised why I couldn't see polaris. 😂🤣

I managed to work it last night. I joined the sharpcap forum and had some feedback from admin on there. Apparently if you hold control on keyboard whilst opening sharpcap and whilst opening the camera it wipes all previous settings. I also downloaded beta version as it has a live view. Worked a treat last night. Thanks everyone for your help. 

• Haha 1