NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Review: Bresser Nano mount...

Shaun_Astro

I bought a nano mount and AR90, on sale separately, ex demo or return last year.

The AR 90, despite needing some alignment turned out to be fantastic, it really puts up sharp views will little colour despite it being out of collimation slightly.

The nano mount is to be avoided at all costs, it literally is maddening... The fact they pair the AR 90/900 and 102/600 with this mount is difficult to comprehend. The altitude is on a bearing, which is tightened not by the flimsy screw in "control" handle, which is pointless,  but a difficult to get to nut on the inside of the dovetail.

The telescope has to be balanced precisely, and the difference in weight of eyepieces causes alt rotation, as does very gently touching the eyepiece with one's eye. It seems to be constantly in motion on the alt axis and requiring constant rebalancing.

Trying to look at the moon at 90x with the AR90 requires holding onto the diagonal to steady the wobbles that never seem to settle down. As for a smaller telescope: the Celestron Travelscope 70 is still borderline because of the mount's sensitivity to balance. I have a StarDiscovery mount which manually like an AZ 4, it's very steady and weighs about the same funnily enough. With that I can easily use the AR90 at 180x mag.

I just needed to rant; I pulled it out of storage for another try and got annoyed. I can't see anyone else giving a review on it and suggest those tempted to purchase it to get something better to avoid buying twice.

Edited by Shaun_Astro
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Shaun_Astro said:

I just needed to rant; I pulled it out of storage for another try and got annoyed. I can't see anyone else giving a review on it and suggest those tempted to purchase it to get something better to avoid buying twice.

Thank you for the rant, which I'd prefer to call a public service !

Heather

• Like 2

Thank you Shaun. After reading your report I just had to take a look at the mount & scope.
Plenty of retailer adverts but no stock and no customer reviews😁

Bresser kit does generally produce favourable comments from SGL members so they appear to have slipped up here.
I just hope you are still within the returns window.

Thanks again for the review.

David.

• Like 2