NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2024 Solar Eclipse USA

theropod

Hey Y’all,

April 8, 2024, an eclipse of the sun will pass over where we live, directly over us. We are within a mile (2 K) of the center path, and totality will last some time. Much longer than the one we went out to Oregon to witness.

My wife and I are not rich folk. We have considered renting out a couple dozen camp sites for a few bucks. NOT ADVERTISING, as there are a ton of issues with this notion we haven’t addressed (having strangers about, our venomous snakes, ticks, chiggers (might not be hatched in April) and seriously rocky/rough topography and our liability for their idiotic behavior. Our 60 acres would/will offer some great viewing if it isn’t pouring rain by the bucket fulls. Public land is scarce around here, our property is beautiful and this a “one-off” if there ever was such a thing where we might earn a few $$’s instead of just paying taxes year in year out. Sigh. What do y’all think? Set up 18 tent sized camp sites and rent them out for 3 days @ $200 (transportation into and out, portapotty & potable water included), and a waiver of liability?

I was also thinking of putting on a rock show with a bunch of bands and calling it “Ra Gets Mooned Festival”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would talk to an attorney first, and have his office draw up the waiver.

I have a neighbour that does cornhole games on his land, an I believe that's what he did.

How awesome 😎 to be directly in the path 🙂

That 😎 emoji got me thinking, you want to make sure everyone has eclipse glasses and is fully aware of danger to their sight.

So you have that issue also.

Otherwise sounds like a great idea :)

Maybe I'll see you there 😉

Edited by PXR-5
Shepelling

In the UK we'd just do it :) Well. maybe not....

The idea of a waiver might not hold water. I think under law you can't sign away Duty of Care?? 

And finally, you'd need to provide facilities for washing/sanitation/power. Mobile facilities might be in short supply locally due to high demand.

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul M said:

In the UK we'd just do it :) Well. maybe not....

The idea of a waiver might not hold water. I think under law you can't sign away Duty of Care?? 

And finally, you'd need to provide facilities for washing/sanitation/power. Mobile facilities might be in short supply locally due to high demand.

Yes, didn't think about facilities, that certainly is an issue.

Here is a map of the eclipse path across my state. The red dot in northern Arkansas, USA, just east of the path center, is an approximation of where we live. Not sure of the site where I found this, but I’m pretty sure it’s americaneclipse.com. I added the red dot.

I hope to have my solar projection system all worked out by then, and the side of my house can serve as a large screen. The trip to the Willamette valley to watch that eclipse was a lifetime event, but being at home I can do all the silly things. A big foam core poster board “pin hole” camera box with a small lens, and a plexiglass viewing window, is on the list. Yes, I’m excited about it, and I hope my 67 year old self can hang in there for 3 more years! I plan to anyway.

EEA8A9A8-8B3D-44BC-AE5B-9756D472D5F7.jpeg

Well, whatever to do, I'd like to book my place with you!

I was lucky enough to be able to travel to Casper, Wyoming, for the 2017 eclipse. The weather was perfect, and I can't wait to see another one.

Hopefully the covid crisis will be over, and I'm still alive!

• Like 1

Sound like an intersting idea, what size would the tent sized areas be ?  Me and three friends were in the US to
see the 2017 eclipse but it clouded out just before totality and cleared just as totality was ending, always up for
seeing another though.

Kathleen

56 minutes ago, SpookyKatt said:

Sound like an intersting idea, what size would the tent sized areas be ?  Me and three friends were in the US to
see the 2017 eclipse but it clouded out just before totality and cleared just as totality was ending, always up for
seeing another though.

Kathleen

I was thinking about a tent site of around 20 X 20 foot area. That should provide for a large tent, a campfire and a portapotty. The real trouble is that we live on a very steep hillside, and finding/making campsites would be a royal pain, but something I’d undertake if several folks wanted to come here. I should have spent more time in thought about all this.

• 2 weeks later...

That's awful nice of you, Therapod. I will have a front row seat here in Central Texas. But, truthfully, I am less than sanguine about piling on and piling in with a million strangers just to see an astronomical event that will be recorded well by others in many wavelengths. I enjoyed a good partial about 20 years ago, dark blue sky, cold air, no birds chirping. But, OK...

1810430738_NationalEclipsedotcomemap_texas_2024.jpg.306d40bc2dd4243e9912a6d2a341c0ad.jpg

Best Regards,

Mike M.

Edited by mikemarotta

During the Oregon eclipse the honey bees went crazy as totality approached, dashing from one flower to the next with gusto. When totality set in they had retired to their hive(s). There were no birds around where we were, so I can’t speak to that. All I know is that were I a rich man my hobby would be flying around the globe chasing eclipses.

• 2 weeks later...

We drove all the way from Texas to Huntington, OR for the 2017 eclipse.  It was my first total solar eclipse since we got clouded out less than 30 minutes before totality at the "Big One" in 1991.  

The experience of seeing a total with my own eyes was an experience I would not want to miss.  I decided to shoot HD video so I could enjoy the experience instead of "putzing" with the camera.

When the church bells starting ringing I thought to myself......"Nice Touch" 😀   I will be watching the 2024 eclipse at a friend's ranch in the Texas Hill Country.

My eclipse equipment.JPG   WO 80ED on a CI-700 with a Canon 100D

Solar finder Eclipse 2017.JPGMy $1 solar finder

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 2