Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vaonis Vespera.

Chaz2b

Having just pursued the rose beds of astronomy gear, I came across this, the Varonis Vespera. Apparently it won’t be out till spring of next year, but is it worth the price? $1499.

It looks very gimmicky, it sets itself up and sends its images to your tablet/phone. Probably ideal for teaching kids but not for serious astronomy imaging IMO , it only has a 2mp Sony sensor. It’s kinda cute as they say.

Its bigger sibling is even more wallet busting!

FF9572B6-E515-45DB-BA68-0E3453AD0D71.webp

Edited by Chaz2b

Both it and it's larger sibling don't really look like the sort of thing that someone who frequents a forum like this would consider a serious tool.  It looks more like a disposable income consumer device which would be rolled out at dinner parties and the like as a talking point, and priced accordingly.

There are a few of these types of scope around now, the most mature seems to be the Unistellar EVScope. I have to say the Unistellar has got further than I expected, they are selling them and people are using them. But it seems that people are getting mixed results and it doesn't seem like a game changer to me especially at £2,500. Perhaps at a quarter of the price it might be. 

Edited by RobertI