NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

p 250 skywatcher

Hi, I have the 200p on an eq5 with just the ra motor drive. Works well for visual but I think it’s right on the limit. AP is just about possible but only in the most limited manner and on the calmest of nights.

I think the mount will struggle with a 250p, might just work for visual but the slightest breeze will make it unstable and a very frustrating experience.

Until the recent price increases I was looking to upgrade to an EQ6 size mount to try the VX12L on but primarily for the 200p and hopefully for another scope more suited to dabble in AP.

I love an EQ mount and the EQ5 is great but I feel it’s already at, if not beyond, its limit with a 200p.

8 hours ago, SMF said:

Hi, I have the 200p on an eq5 with just the ra motor drive. Works well for visual but I think it’s right on the limit. AP is just about possible but only in the most limited manner and on the calmest of nights.

I think the mount will struggle with a 250p, might just work for visual but the slightest breeze will make it unstable and a very frustrating experience.

Until the recent price increases I was looking to upgrade to an EQ6 size mount to try the VX12L on but primarily for the 200p and hopefully for another scope more suited to dabble in AP.

I love an EQ mount and the EQ5 is great but I feel it’s already at, if not beyond, its limit with a 200p.

I agree, I have the 200P with EQ5 but it is at it's limit, for astrophotography it's not really viable, my biggest mistake was getting the EQ5, should have gotten an HEQ5 but that's what I'm upgrading to soon.

good rule of thumb with mounts is to check what they are supplied with, then if you want to do astrophotography look one or two models above (ideally the best you can afford)

Edited by Earl
typical typos
  • Like 1

I used to own an Orion Optics 250 newt. So a similar weight & size to the Skywatcher 250.
It came on a manual EQ5. In terms of handling the weight. No problems. But the caveat of wind and a wobbly mount.
I can't remember if I specifically tried it on a driven mount. It was a long time ago.
But is is reasonable to say the drive would cope IF the scope is balanced.
But accuracy for photos.... A very different question altogether.