Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How good is the QHY 294C for astrophotography?

_steffastrostuff_

Hi all,

So I'm looking into getting my first dedicated astronomy camera and I was recommended the QHY 294C.

I'm really new to CCD/CMOS cameras and I don't know if this camera is good as a first dedicated astro camera or not.

I've seen loads of great reviews on the ZWO ASI 294MC and I saw that it used the same sensor as the QHY, so I assume the results would be similar?? 

Money is my main concern and the QHY is cheaper than the ZWO, but is it as good?

My current setup is:

Scope - Skywatcher 200pds

Mount - Heq5 pro

Canon 700d (unmodded)

Would this be a good camera to get?

Its a good camera for sure I have seen many excerlent images taken with them. For me may of the advantages of ZWO are assocuated with their mono models and their accessories and backfocus. For an OSC those dont come into it and I would be happy to go with QHY in that case.

Using the 200PDS your not going to get muc FOV are you galaxy imaging? For nebulas you are going to notice the smaller FOV in comparison to the DSLR.

Adam

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Just be aware that if you buy qhy, you also decide not to use asiair, since asiair doesn’t have the necessary drivers.

I would just use stellamate why anyone would want to lock themselves down to a single make is beyond me. You need to get all their stuff their camera filter wheel focuser guide camera. What if you don't like their filter wheel? 

Edited by Adam J

My thoughts exactly, great piece of kit but there's no way I'd lock myself into using only their gear.

There's a recent thread on CN where someone has gained root on the Asair and is experimenting with loading drivers for other kit.

To be frank, I'd rather run a Win10 mini PC, it's been over two years since Windows update broke anything on my setup and it's been absolutely stable for me.

11 hours ago, Adam J said:

Its a good camera for sure I have seen many excerlent images taken with them. For me may of the advantages of ZWO are assocuated with their mono models and their accessories and backfocus. For an OSC those dont come into it and I would be happy to go with QHY in that case.

Using the 200PDS your not going to get muc FOV are you galaxy imaging? For nebulas you are going to notice the smaller FOV in comparison to the DSLR.

Adam

Yeah I’m looking to use it for galaxy season

9 minutes ago, _steffastrostuff_ said:

Yeah I’m looking to use it for galaxy season

If your imaging galaxies then you don't need the FOV and the ASI533mc pro is a better sensor per unit area if that makes sense. Especially as the 294 has some issues with background calibration when going deep on galaxies. Smaller pixels with help with detail on the OSC for that use case too. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

• 3 months later...
On 17/02/2021 at 13:49, _steffastrostuff_ said:

I got it, just got delivered 

Thank you!

Have you tried the camera yet? I want to replace my starparty camera so I can do wider field imaging. The other option is one of the 533 chip cameras. Incidentally I'm not far from you and a member of Swansea Astronomy club.