SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which direction to go?

Hi folks, 

I'm trying to figure out which direction to go. I've just finished routing some cables to my mini-PC, which currently lives on my dovetail plate, as can be seen below, power distribution cables are the only part missing.
I'm trying to figure out if I should just buy the Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Micro or discard the whole mini-PC idea and go with the ZWO ASIAir Pro instead. Both units aren't far apart in price.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

149081998_10224364206837342_3318489636156870975_n.jpg.7f8556462a2932b701e8041b01388f6a.jpg

20210206_164957.thumb.jpg.c3e6bd69252a4a4e6a5d123b4a2e5401.jpg

Asiair is a beautiful system.  But when the mini pc is already available...hard question whats the best direction. Both the asiair and ppb aren’t safe for powering the Mount.  So you probably need 2 normal or one big psu.  

Im not sure about future cameras but zwo is the only brand supported by the asiair. 
im also not sure about the wifi capabilities of a mini pc.  The asiair wifi is a bit weak.

okay i cant help😬

Do a coinflip. That way you cant blame yourself afterwards 

Edited by Robindonne

Once purchased the powerbox should serve its purpose for however long you intend.  You can change the pc, the camera, the software etc.

With ASIAir you're in a box, so to speak.  And there will be AsiAir 2.0 in 6 months, 3.0 in 2 years....

With your own PC you are in control.

If you already have the mini PC, and it's running your software without a hitch, then I'd go with the Pegasus to avoid messing things up. As has been said, the ASIair will lock you into the ZWO system, which I would seriously avoid.

There is also a lot to be said for multiple power supplies, on my big rig I have 3, for the mount, the camera and for the electrically noisy accessories.