NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mounting Skymax 127 mak on AZ GTi

Hi all

Hoping I can get some questions ironed out relating to the mounting of my 127 on an AZ GTi which I've just bought (separate purchase). 

I have searched the subject but am left with a few questions. When the 127 is mounted on the AZ GTi , it's on the left side of the mount, which is fine because I am left handed and prefer it being on the left, but it does pose a problem for me,  my 127 has the mounting rail on the underside, so when it's mounted on the AZ,  the focus knob is now directly behind the diagonal, which is a tad inconvenient, but worse still is that my Baader red dot sight would be in an impossible position down to the left about 7-8 o'clock. My intention was to hopefully rotate the backplate by slackening the screws so it could be rotated to the right, bringing the focus knob and sight mount back to their normal positions.  

I read an article somewhere about doing this, I can't find it now, but am having second thoughts anyway, just concerned I'd be opening the proverbial 'can of worms' by attempting it and upsetting the collimation .

Has anyone done this 'mod' is it easy enough to do, and does anyone have a link to the article?  Or any other suggestions how to get round this issue.

Thanks

Edited by Boros

I asked FLO this question when looking at the bresser 127 on the AZI GTI and they replied - see below :

as with most OTA's when purchased as a telescope only the dovetail is on the bottom of the telescope relative to the finder scope. When you side mount it to the GTi mount the finderscope will be in a very odd position. This is a normal issue though and most wil fit the Rigel finder as you can use the supplied double sided sticky foam pads to mount it to the telescope tube in a good position https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

If you buy a telescope and mount package like the Skywatcher 127 with the Gti mount the dovetail is mounted on the correct side of the telescope and the finder remains in the correct position.

Yes I was aware that is the case, but as I said I had intended to do the mod which rotates the rear plate and that would alleviate the issue, but I now can't find the article explaining the procedure. I don't know if it's straightforward and don't want to risk messing up the collimation. Really was hoping someone would have done it and could explain the process.

I have a decent red dot sight, so spending on another one is not an option.

Thanks

Rob 

I know you say you prefer using your Skymax 127 on the left hand side as your left handed and the focuser and finderscope are us awful positions now. Although I'm not left handed I updated the firmware to use my skymax 127 on the right hand side and all issues corrected, so no contorting to use my finderscope now. 

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

• Like 2

Thanks for suggestions, another option has cropped up, if I fit tube rings I should be able to rotate the scope to the correct orientation, I think I quite like that idea, it's non invasive and can be changed back in the future if required.  So just need to find a set of rings to fit. 

From what I can gather from other posts the Skywatcher 140mm rings 'might' fit. Bit of debate as to what the actual inner diameter is 140- 143mm? I have measured my tube and it's 142.8mm so if they are 143mm+ they should be okay.

Anyone actually tried to fit these rings?

4 hours ago, Boros said:

Thanks for suggestions, another option has cropped up, if I fit tube rings I should be able to rotate the scope to the correct orientation, I think I quite like that idea, it's non invasive and can be changed back in the future if required.  So just need to find a set of rings to fit. 

From what I can gather from other posts the Skywatcher 140mm rings 'might' fit. Bit of debate as to what the actual inner diameter is 140- 143mm? I have measured my tube and it's 142.8mm so if they are 143mm+ they should be okay.

Anyone actually tried to fit these rings?

That’s a great idea 

• 6 months later...
On 11/02/2021 at 07:14, AstroNebulee said:

I know you say you prefer using your Skymax 127 on the left hand side as your left handed and the focuser and finderscope are us awful positions now. Although I'm not left handed I updated the firmware to use my skymax 127 on the right hand side and all issues corrected, so no contorting to use my finderscope now. 

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

Hi there, I have the same set up and am about to update the firmware - do you have a photo of how it looks when mounted to the right? I cant quite visualise how it will all be oriented when mounted, presumably the finder will be below the tube?  - no problem if not I can go ahead and try mounting it when i get home (away on business and just planning what to do). Thanks, Phil

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Driverpm said:

Hi there, I have the same set up and am about to update the firmware - do you have a photo of how it looks when mounted to the right? I cant quite visualise how it will all be oriented when mounted, presumably the finder will be below the tube?  - no problem if not I can go ahead and try mounting it when i get home (away on business and just planning what to do). Thanks, Phil

Hi

I don't have the Skymax 127 any more but I still have images of it mounted using the the right arm side and the finder is in a much better position, before the firmware update is was underneath the scope. 

IMG_20210222_181645.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi

I don't have the Skymax 127 any more but I still have images of it mounted using the the right arm side and the finder is in a much better position, before the firmware update is was underneath the scope. 

IMG_20210222_181645.jpg

Great, thanks for that

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi

IMG_20210222_181645.jpg

That's odd my son just put the tube on the right of the  mount, has he done something obviously wrong as my guide mount is now below my tube?

20210906_195057.jpg

14 minutes ago, Driverpm said:

That's odd my son just put the tube on the right of the  mount, has he done something obviously wrong as my guide mount is now below my tube?

20210906_195057.jpg

That is odd and looks like my finderscope shoe is in a different place to yours here my old scope before its on the az gti and csn see if I mounted mine on left as pre update my fs is on the bottom as pictured in the other image 

IMG_20210619_143302.jpg

IMG_20210121_092755.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee

19 minutes ago, Driverpm said:

20210906_195057.jpg

You may have bought the OTA and mount separately, but it looks like you still have the OTA version that's usually sold bundled, rather than the stand-alone model.
But you can flash the AZ-GTi firmware to give operation either left- or right-arm.  I'd think that would be less trouble than loosening the back.

29 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

You may have bought the OTA and mount separately, but it looks like you still have the OTA version that's usually sold bundled, rather than the stand-alone model

Yes think your right zermelo as you bought my skymax 127 ftom me and I purchased my az gti and Skymax 127 seperatly, didn't think of that 

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yes think your right zermelo as you bought my skymax 127 ftom me and I purchased my az gti and Skymax 127 seperatly, didn't think of that 

Yes, mine was bundled as a tube and mount. I don't have immediate plans to move to eq mode so I will update Firmware to the left hand mount for now unless there's any reason to proceed differently? Thanks again all very helpful

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Driverpm said:

Yes, mine was bundled as a tube and mount. I don't have immediate plans to move to eq mode so I will update Firmware to the left hand mount for now unless there's any reason to proceed differently? Thanks again all very helpful

Even if you upgrade the firmware , there is no need to use the mount in EQ mode as it asks whether you want to use Alt/AZ or EQ mode before you start . Upgrading the firmware gives you the choice of using EQ mode . 

Sorry if someone else has already mentioned this  :)

On 07/09/2021 at 08:36, Stu1smartcookie said:

Even if you upgrade the firmware , there is no need to use the mount in EQ mode as it asks whether you want to use Alt/AZ or EQ mode before you start . Upgrading the firmware gives you the choice of using EQ mode . 

Sorry if someone else has already mentioned this  :)

Thanks Stu1, I was aware of this but welcome the input, the issue I have is that if right-mount then my current finder scope fixing will be in an awkward position 

• Like 1