NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS vs Skywatcher Explorer 250PDS

I am looking to buy another scope for deepspace/astrophotography and was wondering between the skywatchers explorer 200pds and the 250 pds, i have the heq5 pro mount and evostar 120 at the moment. These are the two scopes in my price range and was condering could i get some adive on which really to go for.

Thankyou for your time

Paul

Neither?

Both are quite a bit heavy and large for Heq5. 250PDS in particular - mount simply can't handle that much weight let alone be precise for astrophotography (almost 15Kg without imaging accessories).

200PDS at 9kg (+ imaging accessories - easily pushed up to 11Kg) will be right on the limit of what HEQ5 can handle - and any wind is just going to make sail out of such a large tube.

I mounted 8" F/6 tube on heq5 and while doable - you really don't want to do it.

150PDS is going to be very nice match for Heq5 mount and enjoyable newtonian to image with - maybe think of getting that one.

• Like 2

I have the 250 PDS and I think it's really pushing the limit of my NEQ6. The eyepiece (if I use one) is often in a weird place or out of reach. And it catches even a light breeze. Not a big problem for visual but makes imaging impossible on breezy nights; larger aperture is maybe best reserved for visual unless you have a significant mount and/or observatory.

Having said that, it does pull out DSO's quite nicely. It does well with my DSLR but I'm struggling with guiding using a dedicated camera with a small chip/image scale. Not that I regret getting the 250PDS. It's fine scope, just a bit of a beast!

Must agree with the previous posters- although you can just about get away with a 200 for imaging in an heq5. I have mine in a converted shed which protects it from the wind and I can usually guide at 0.7-0.9" RMS. It's not ideal, but I do think the extra aperture helps with fainter targets.

• Like 1

I agree with Vlaiv, I have the HEQ5 Pro (Rowan belt modded) and when I use my SW200P reflector I have to add another 2.5kg counterweight on top of the 2x5Kg supplied with mount to achieve good balance with my imaging train (see signature). This just about holds steady with RMS error in region of +/- 1" with PHD2 on a no wind night (rare). My telescope is similar in size to the 200 PDS but I definitely would not go bigger. My best long exposures has always been with my refractor ED80 (RMS error around 0.6) as it is lighter and less affected by any breeze. 

You may need to consider a bigger mount (more payload KG) or a 'hybrid' reflector of the SCT / RC design.  Your current telescope from reviews is excellent but if you want wide field (Andromeda, North American Nebula etc) have you considered stepping down instead?? Less £££. There is no one solution for all our needs in this game!!!

Gerr.

Thankyou for the advice and insight, with the advice i've recieved going for the 150pds and get the coma corrector at the same time. Then look into upgrading mount/tripod ina bout 6 months.

Thankyou for everyones time

Paul

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Neither?

Both are quite a bit heavy and large for Heq5. 250PDS in particular - mount simply can't handle that much weight let alone be precise for astrophotography (almost 15Kg without imaging accessories).

200PDS at 9kg (+ imaging accessories - easily pushed up to 11Kg) will be right on the limit of what HEQ5 can handle - and any wind is just going to make sail out of such a large tube.

I mounted 8" F/6 tube on heq5 and while doable - you really don't want to do it.

150PDS is going to be very nice match for Heq5 mount and enjoyable newtonian to image with - maybe think of getting that one.

Agree with vlaiv on this.

I am a little biased though as I have this set-up (150PDS and HEQ5 Pro) and find it works very well :)

I got a 250 to try on my EQ6 but I haven't used it yet, and have already decided that it's probably univiable just due to its massive size.

I'll give it a go, of course, but don't underestimate the importance of being able to setup with one person and safely carry it through the door.

It depends on how you intend to use the scope and where.  I have a 200P with a larger secondary effectively making it an PDS.  It sits on my HEQ5, has a Canon D400 attached, along with a QHY5 on the finder and the associated cabling.  It works fine and is reasonably stable in most winds because it's housed in an observatory and is fairly sheltered.  If it were in an exposed field then a light breeze it could be a different story.  

I also think the weight "limit" is under stated, and is dependent on the scope fitted.  A 6" long focal length scope may be within the load limits, but could still be unstable when compared to a large SCT where the mass is contained more central to the mount.

A 250PDS would be quite a beast for an HEQ5 to handle and more suited to an EQ8 if you want a really stable platform.  A 150PDS on an HEQ5 would be an alternative if you don't have the luxury of a sheltered location.