NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Esprit 120 - flattener & reducer?

6 minutes ago, SamAndrew said:

I'm sure I've seen comments that you can get away without the flattener at all - although I can't confirm the sensor size that was being used. You might not need one for a 4/3 size chip such as the ASI 1600.

Yes...  that what I was told for a chip the size of an Atik460.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

You'll need either the 1x flattener or the 0.77x reducer/flattener  with that, depends on what camera you have /fov / sample rate you want  ...  £196 or £299..  

Hi thank you for the reply @Laurin Dave

I was going to get an Atik horizon but after reviewing my choice and learning of the QHY 268c I think that will be my preferred option.

So just to recap I don’t need a flattener just a reducer for my esprit 120 with the QHY 268c?

Thsnks, 

Neil, you need either the flattener or the reducer (which also flattens) ...  if it were me I'd get the reducer to go with that scope and camera, it will have a fov 1.7 times as big (and will get all of M42 Running Man etc) still have a good pixel scale of 1.2 arcsec/pp which is fine for galaxies and will also be a faster system..  Maybe trickier to get backfocus set up but QHY do a very good set of spacers for this purpose..  

HTH

Dave

• Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 17:03, SamAndrew said:

I'm sure I've seen comments that you can get away without the flattener at all - although I can't confirm the sensor size that was being used. You might not need one for a 4/3 size chip such as the ASI 1600.

You would need one, maybe a small sensor like in the ATIK428 etc but not much bigger than that before you need one. Even something like a ASI183 would need one.