NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Boötes binary collection at 3am

Spile

At last a bit of clear sky so up at 3am and a bit of binary hunting.

Started with Cor Caroli (CVN) which although physically rather awkward (very up!) was an excellent (yellow+blue/white) sight and well deserved 5* rating. A good start.

Then onto the main event of the evening (morning) - Boötes

Started near Arcturus and headed for Izar (Epsilon) but disappointed that I couldn't split it so off to...

Xi (Y+O) which was nice but 4* not 5* for me and then Pi (B+Y) which I found easier and a good 4*.

Then headed up t'north for the highlight of the evening, the delightfully named Alkalurops and well deserved 5* for this triple. Pleased to get all three - W+Y+W

Finally part of this area was very close - Zeta Corona Borealis and found it easily ... Or so I thought. On checking up,  I think I may having been looking at  v1 and v2 Boö. Grrrr. One to try again and this time remember Izar - Delta - Zeta CRB are in a line.

Then headed back to Izar and managed to split it - Y+B. Pleased with that.

Before calling it a night/morning, I headed to Lyra to try the Double-double but it was a half hearted attempt and I couldn't split the smaller companions. 

• Like 9

Great stuff. Izar, Alkalurops, and Cor Caroli are all wonderful. I haven't got any further in Bootes and Corona Borealis than that. I should try and rectify that in spring.

Edited by domstar
spelling
  • Like 1

Excellent.  I have a soft spot for Boötes as it was the first constellation I explored when I started out last spring. Alkalurops is a particular favourite, and Izar defeated me several times (needed a new scope in the end).  I just saw the herdsman coming up as I was packing away last night, too late for me at the moment but looking forward to resuming our acquiantance.

• Like 2