Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dimensions of the Dobsonian base pieces for a Apertura AD8 or Zhumell 8" reflector

Chboro

I've had my AD8 for at least 5 years and the original base, which was made from particle board finally fell apart.  I had been repairing it for the past 2 years.  Partially my fault for leaving it outside on the back patio.  Needless to say I still need one.   I figure if I had the dimensions of the base I could make one that will last a lot longer.  I tried buying one but they are on back order and who knows when they'll get them in.

Width and height of the sides would be helpfull as well as the brace piece.   I kept the bearing plate pieces in the hopes I get around to making one.

I know you're thinking why didn't I measure the one I had.   Well, I tossed it thinking I would be able to just purchase a new one.

Any help appreciated.

Chuck in Arizona

Sorry to hear that your equipment has fallen to bits. Like you say it is a shame that you threw away the original, but we are living in rare times and supplies are short it would seem.

If I may offer a suggestion. Perhaps this thread should be moved to a more equipment based area of this site or even better the DIY section. Perhaps one of the mods could help out.

Marvin

Hello Chuck and welcome to SGL.

If you have a saw and drill it’s not too hard to make a base, try searching google for ideas.....

Here’s one.....

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/how-to-build-a-dobsonian-mount/

I made a good dob base in the 90’s and i’m not skilled.

Or you could put tube rings and a dovetail on the OTA and put it on a AltAz or equatorial mount......

EE63F619-0C8B-4AD8-BF57-F128A57CF915.jpeg.5f9f82bd237ce4cad329d7787ab1d989.jpeg

Edited by dweller25