Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Power supply blew

No worries.  To me it's a simple task, but if you're not used to things electrical it can be daunting, and a simple plug in option might be the preferred choice.  Swapping the assembly over is very easy, you've already done half of it when you removed the two screws to inspect the PCB and wiring.  The two connectors can only plug in one way so you can't get that wrong, and you don't need to strip the mount down to access the MCB.

If when the parts arrive you want additional support and advice just ask.  But it's straight forward, and I'm sure you're well capable of doing this.

2 hours ago, malc-c said:

No worries.  To me it's a simple task, but if you're not used to things electrical it can be daunting, and a simple plug in option might be the preferred choice.  Swapping the assembly over is very easy, you've already done half of it when you removed the two screws to inspect the PCB and wiring.  The two connectors can only plug in one way so you can't get that wrong, and you don't need to strip the mount down to access the MCB.

If when the parts arrive you want additional support and advice just ask.  But it's straight forward, and I'm sure you're well capable of doing this.

Yeah exactly, better safe than sorry anyways. 

I ordered that part from microglobe. Would this be ok for powering the mount - https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/desktop-power-supplies/8163834

It has the same specs as the one on FLO as far as I can see and can be used in cold temperatures. Unfortunately, I cant buy batteries from England. 

Edit: Just found this one here which has the same specs and cheaper: https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/desktop-power-supplies/8808408/?cm_mmc=IE-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_IE_EN_Power_Supplies_%26_Transformers_Whoop_ME-_-(IE:Whoop!)+Desktop+Power+Supplies-_-8808408&matchtype=&pla-337290457819&gclid=CjwKCAiAsOmABhAwEiwAEBR0ZrPrvMnlVpz10htWV1eFkKIbdWpOnaHPs5ruZgNVlHAsF0VelW8tTRoC0MIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not sure if they are what I need though.

Edited by AlanP_

That should do the trick, 60w means it's capable of providing 5A at 12v, and has a stock 2.1 x 5.5 x 11mm centre positive (as indicated by the PJ1 suffix in the part number) connector. 

I think the difference between the two is the more expensive supply has been approved and certified for use in the medical arena.   

Meanwell are a decent make of PSUs.

17 minutes ago, malc-c said:

That should do the trick, 60w means it's capable of providing 5A at 12v, and has a stock 2.1 x 5.5 x 11mm centre positive (as indicated by the PJ1 suffix in the part number) connector. 

I think the difference between the two is the more expensive supply has been approved and certified for use in the medical arena.   

Meanwell are a decent make of PSUs.

Perfect, cheers Malcolm appreciate it! I'll order that one now too and hopefully I can get to imaging next week!

Hey Malcolm!

just installed the replacement part of the Mount. I also bought that cheaper power brick that I linked above. However, it didn’t actually come with the cable to connect it to a wall.

I had this spare cable, but it says it’s 10amps and 250v. I don’t know much about that sort of stuff but it seems like a lot. Would that cause me any problems when if I connected it to that power brick and then to the mount?

image.jpg

Hi,

You should be able to remove the 10A fuse and fit it with a 3A if you have one, but if not then that would be fine for a simple quick test.  As the 60w power block gives around 2.5 amps out, a 3A would blow if there was an issue, where as a 10A or 13A fuse would still allow current to flow and would only blow if the current exceeded that value.

1 minute ago, malc-c said:

Hi,

You should be able to remove the 10A fuse and fit it with a 3A if you have one, but if not then that would be fine for a simple quick test.  As the 60w power block gives around 2.5 amps out, a 3A would blow if there was an issue, where as a 10A or 13A fuse would still allow current to flow and would only blow if the current exceeded that value.

Ok great! So the 250V wont affect it?

No.  It's a standard 13A UK plug, rated at  250v -  your mains supply is typically 220 -240v ac.  You should be able to prize up the fuse holder using a small screwdriver in those small square holes where it says "fuse".  Fit a 3A and give it a go

23 minutes ago, malc-c said:

No.  It's a standard 13A UK plug, rated at  250v -  your mains supply is typically 220 -240v ac.  You should be able to prize up the fuse holder using a small screwdriver in those small square holes where it says "fuse".  Fit a 3A and give it a go

And we have liftoff! 

image.jpg

• Like 2

👍

Excellent.... have fun :)

When you unplug the cable from the mount, I would suggest unplugging the main plug first and then remove the 12v connector... just to be safe.  There shouldn't be any real risk, but it's just a practice I get into on any powered device, switch off at the mains and then remove cables....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, malc-c said:

👍

Excellent.... have fun :)

When you unplug the cable from the mount, I would suggest unplugging the main plug first and then remove the 12v connector... just to be safe.  There shouldn't be any real risk, but it's just a practice I get into on any powered device, switch off at the mains and then remove cables....

Brilliant stuff, appreciate the advice!

Seriously can't thank you enough Malc and everyone else who has helped me with this. Its a pretty daunting topic but this forums is unbelievably kind and helpful. Hopefully all goes well now and I can get out viewing!

One more thing, how do I get rid of clouds 😅

• Like 1