NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair 102 edr F7 on Sw Az5.

Hi, arthritis getting worse and lugging the skytee, 2 inch tripod and eq5 extension then Ed120 will eventually become too difficult. I'm thinking of downsizing to a 102 edr on an az5 with either steel or berlebach 312 tripod. I already have the mount and tripods. Anybody using a similar scope mounted like this. Weight of scope v mount payload looks fine on paper?

Cheers

Steve

I've used my ed102r on a Vixen Porta 2 which I think is of a similar nature to the AZ5.

I found a bit of vibes noticeable when focusing but otherwise ok.

I upgraded to a Skytee 2 and will stick with that while I'm able as it is solid as a rock but I would be fine going back to a Porta 2 or similar with the 102mm if need be.

I don't know if there are tripod leg options available they will help a bit. My Porta 2 is on those rectangular aluminium legs which are not as rigid as round steel legs. 

I used an ST120 on an AZ5 and it worked well. Comfortable to use and stable. The ST120 is quite a bit heavier than a 102mm f7 ED, although also 100mm+ shorter. The only issue may be the extra length. I'll find out when I try my 102mm f7 on my AZ5 next time the weather allows...

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Hi, arthritis getting worse and lugging the skytee, 2 inch tripod and eq5 extension then Ed120 will eventually become too difficult. I'm thinking of downsizing to a 102 edr on an az5 with either steel or berlebach 312 tripod. I already have the mount and tripods. Anybody using a similar scope mounted like this. Weight of scope v mount payload looks fine on paper?

Cheers

Steve

I'm in the same boat...

So far the easiest thing for me to use is an assembled truss dob with wheelbarrow handles. Maybe a short Mak or something might work but for me its using the tripod- I stand using the dob and its so user friendly, at least for now.