NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Indi binary for Rpi 4?

Jonk

I'm playing with a new Rpi 4 for various reasons, and I wanted to get my head around Indi. I've installed Raspberry Buster and have a ZWO camera working as an allsky at the moment.

I'm not Linux inclined at all but can follow instructions and get certain things to work.

The Indi webpage is blank for the Rpi download bizarrely and I can't for the life of me make from a github clone. I don't understand it enough and it's moaning about missing directories, dependancies (too much to list here).

Does anyone have a binary install (.deb?) that I can try?

OA Capture is also another one I'm strugg

ling to install. Even a basic fswebcam test doesn't work.

This is tricky coming from 25+ years of MSDOS->Win10!

Probably the easiest way to install Kstars/INDI etc. is from the launchpad site: https://launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

I think this should work:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install indi-full

It might be easier to get that done before trying to get oacapture working as oacapture will use the camera interface libraries included with INDI if it finds them.

James

20 minutes ago, Jonk said:

I'm playing with a new Rpi 4 for various reasons, and I wanted to get my head around Indi. I've installed Raspberry Buster and have a ZWO camera working as an allsky at the moment.

I'm not Linux inclined at all but can follow instructions and get certain things to work.

The Indi webpage is blank for the Rpi download bizarrely and I can't for the life of me make from a github clone. I don't understand it enough and it's moaning about missing directories, dependancies (too much to list here).

Does anyone have a binary install (.deb?) that I can try?

OA Capture is also another one I'm strugg

ling to install. Even a basic fswebcam test doesn't work.

This is tricky coming from 25+ years of MSDOS->Win10!

Just an FYI before you go too far, the mesu does not work on INdI...the driver is incomplete and there is nobody working on it as there is an issue with the mount software that needs to be sorted beforehand....apparently it’s going to take a lot of work to get this to ever happen..... ☹️

4 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Just an FYI before you go too far, the mesu does not work on INdI...

I did see that, but this Pi isn't going to be used for mount control, more of an outdoor allsky / gps / sky monitor etc.

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Is this a clean install that you're working from?  If so perhaps it would be easier to start from scratch with Astroberry?

Pretty much - new Raspberry OS (Buster) which is based on Debian. I don't really want to start again, it's taken hours to get this far!

Only really installed a few bits - Allsky from github, ntp server, filezilla, firecapture (that's also not working well).

I've also set it up to run from an SSD via USB3 but that shouldn't affect software installation.

Ah. ok.  In that case perhaps you can just pull the packages from Astroberry that will do what you need.  The instructions here look like they'd get you started:

https://www.astroberry.io/repo/

After that you may be able to do:

$ sudo apt-get install indi-full

I'm assuming that Astroberry uses indi-full for the package name.  If not it shouldn't be too hard to find out what it is.

James

Main goal is for the 178MC to act as a live allsky at max fps via a web server by day (to hook up to an NVR with other network CCTV cameras) but switch to the allsky software at sunset, to do the cloud monitoring, nightly timelapse, keogram etc.

Getting an image on screen is a good start.

Thanks again, don't ask don't get!

I've just read that you're actively involved with OACapture? Well I've certainly asked the right person for help.

Can I do what I want - output the camera preview to a webserver rather than remote desktop to the rpi?

It would be great to be able to embed this into an internal webpage, along with my rpi system monitor (temps etc) and weather data.

Edited by Jonk

19 minutes ago, Jonk said:

I've just read that you're actively involved with OACapture? Well I've certainly asked the right person for help.

Can I do what I want - output the camera preview to a webserver rather than remote desktop to the rpi?

It would be great to be able to embed this into an internal webpage, along with my rpi system monitor (temps etc) and weather data.

oacapture is my project, yes :)

It doesn't allow direct upload of images to a webserver at the moment, so for the time being a small external script would be required to do that.  It is functionality that I want to add soon though, as I want to use it to run an all-sky camera of my own.  I just need to build the thing first :D

James

Excellent - well keep up the good work!

I was thinking at 10-20fps? Even 5fps would show cloud movement, birds etc.

Basically an mjpg stream or something an NVR can recognise and display - the rpi wouldn't need to do anything apart from serve, the NVR could record as per any other CCTV.

Then at a set time, denoted by sunset, a program could stop OAcapture, and start the allsky program (they can't both talk to the camera at the same time as I'm sure you already know).