NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

16V on EQ-6 Pro

Cboillo

Hi everyone,

I hope you will be able to help me! I bought a car booster which deliver a 16v output.

I was planning to use it with my EQ-6 Pro mount but I'm not sure if this would be fine or too powerful.

I know that some mounts like the AZ EQ5 accepts a 11V-16V range but I can't find this info regarding the EQ-6 Pro.

Could you please let me know if this would be fine?

Thanks a lot!

9 minutes ago, Cboillo said:

I hope you will be able to help me! I bought a car booster which deliver a 16v output.

Car boosters are usually a 12v lead acid battery. A fully charged 12v battery sits around 13.7 volts hot off the charger which would be fine for an EQ6.

Have you measured the output voltage with a multimeter???  Try a different multimeter.

What does the manual say?  AFAIK astro mounts are designed to work from a nominal 12v DC, or from a six-cell lead acid battery which could be up to 13.8v when fully charged and just disconnected from the charger.  The mount is unlikely to blow up when subjected to a modest over voltage, e.g. 16v.

But the 16v from the car booster will be subject to a +/- tolerance so could be more than +16,  Personally, if I had spent around £1000 on the mount, I would not risk it - I'd use a more suitable supply.

57 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Car boosters are usually a 12v lead acid battery. A fully charged 12v battery sits around 13.7 volts hot off the charger which would be fine for an EQ6.

Have you measured the output voltage with a multimeter???  Try a different multimeter.

I measured it with a brand new multimeter.

It's actually this car booster I'm talking about https://www.amazon.com/UTRAI-Jumpstarter1-Portable-22000mAh-Cigarette/dp/B07WVCRQPC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=UTRAI+Booster+Batterie&qid=1611494816&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExN0pBSFpQSFZRRDNPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODIzMDQ1MVpIUzNFN0tDUDFJUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzUzNTUyMloyNkVDOTlJT0Q3WiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also comes with a cigarette lighter socket (12V-17V/8A-10A) can power your toy car,telescope or camera,etc

59 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

But the 16v from the car booster will be subject to a +/- tolerance so could be more than +16,  Personally, if I had spent around £1000 on the mount, I would not risk it - I'd use a more suitable supply.

Thanks for the advice, this is what I should do then :(

15 minutes ago, Cboillo said:

Thanks for the advice, this is what I should do then

I suggest you get a power supply that more closely resembles the sealed lead acid powered 'astro power tanks'.  Either an actual astro power tank, or something like this: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/4-in-1-jump-starter-594335.html

This contains a 12v sealed lead acid battery.

Or one of the LiFePo astro power tanks - more robust and longer lasting than sealed lead acid, and designed for powering Astro mounts.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
LiFePo

1 hour ago, Cboillo said:

I bought a car booster which deliver a 16v output.

I was planning to use it with my EQ-6 Pro mount but I'm not sure if this would be fine or too powerful.

You can download the EQ6 manual. It says there that the power supply should be in the range 11 - 16 volts. Your booster should also be able to supply the required current (amps) which the manual also gives limits for.

Be aware that just because the car booster says it supplies 16 volts, you should check that under all circumstances it does not exceed that. Personally I would not trust it unless I had looked at the electronics and checked its output voltage myself.