NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need help please!

Hello! I bought my very first telescope, SkyWatcher Heritage 150p. But I'm having a problem and don't know what to do. My primary mirror Is like tarnished (I uploaded a picture so you all can see)

I tried to use a hair dryer but after 10/15 minutes pointing it to the primary mirror nothing happened.

Can it be fixed? Or should I ask to return it for a new one?

16109309258735666297048366942234.jpg

It's the other side of the mirror that collects and focuses the light.

Telescope mirrors are front surface aluminised so the light does not pass though the glass at all.

Edited by John

9 hours ago, Jeremias Campos Rial said:

Thank you very much for your help! Im brand new on this, hoping to learn fast :)

An easy mistake if you're a complete beginner and think all telescopes have a clear lens at the end. Your photo shows the bottom of the telescope, not making fun of you here but did you know you've pointed the wrong end up? I do realise you needed to do that to take the picture.

On 18/01/2021 at 09:21, wulfrun said:

An easy mistake if you're a complete beginner and think all telescopes have a clear lens at the end. Your photo shows the bottom of the telescope, not making fun of you here but did you know you've pointed the wrong end up? I do realise you needed to do that to take the picture.

Totally! I felt so stupid at the beginning, I laughed myself for a couple of minutes and said "you really need to learn fast". I only knew refractors telescopes so I pointed the wrong way the first time. However, the other night I was using it properly and that got me as a kid for few hours.

Thanks to you all for your help, hope to learn more from you and, maybe, make some good observations to share here! I will look for an online course so I can learn more about everything.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2021 at 10:01, fifeskies said:

Newtonian telescopes can be a little confusing when people have only seen refractors before , but they are good telescopes for beginners as they are such good value.

Image result for newtonian telescope diagram

Image result for Refractor Telescope Diagram

Thank you very much for your information! Mistake solved by now!

1 hour ago, Jeremias Campos Rial said:

Totally! I felt so stupid at the beginning, I laughed myself for a couple of minutes and said "you really need to learn fast". I only knew refractors telescopes so I pointed the wrong way the first time.

You are not the first to make that mistake and I'm certain you won't be the last! Enjoy and keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 1