NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to slew

Hi Folks, 

Hope everyone is enjoying these clear skies 😂🤣😂

I have a question. I am awaiting my new toy (qhy polemaster) so that will curse things for the first month of the year, sorry! 

Anyway,  I read that the PM will require me to rotate the mount by NOT undoing the clutches. My question is this, how do I access/ use the hand set slewing/rotation function without doing an alignment first? 

As far as I can see this option is only available after the alignment process. However the PM alignment process needs to take place before the alignment. Mmmm🤔

I have an Heq5 pro mount. 

Cheers and happy new year! 

Simon 

13 hours ago, KP82 said:

You first need to press '3' to choose the slew rate. Then you can use the directional keys to slew the mount. No prior star alignment required

Hi, So I gave that a try. Unfortunately, as soon as I switch on the mount the first thing it will allow me to do is enter all the required set up data. It will not allow me to just select the directional controls. 

Any thoughts? 

Cheers 

Simon 

39 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi, So I gave that a try. Unfortunately, as soon as I switch on the mount the first thing it will allow me to do is enter all the required set up data. It will not allow me to just select the directional controls. 

Any thoughts? 

Cheers 

Simon 

Date/Time data must be entered every time you switch on the mount as the hand controller does not have a built-in RTC. Once you're at the home screen on the hand controller, you can follow my previous steps to slew the mount. There is no need to do the star alignment.

My recent EQ5 Synscan will allow me to slew the mount with the motors as soon as power is applied to the mount. In any case, so long as you have not done a star alignment you can release the clutches and move the mount manually without affecting anything. I do not see why adding a Polemaster would affect this advice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KP82 said:

Date/Time data must be entered every time you switch on the mount as the hand controller does not have a built-in RTC. Once you're at the home screen on the hand controller, you can follow my previous steps to slew the mount. There is no need to do the star alignment.

Hi Thanks, 

Yep, that worked, thanks for your help!! 

Clear Skies and stay safe 

Simon 

The act of applying the clutch will deflect the axis slightly so the recommendation is to leave the clutch engaged and use the motor to slew.

The amount of deflection varies from mount to mount and from manufacturer to manufacturer so that is why pole master and other polar alignment aids ask to keep the clutch engaged.