NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar scope reticle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jiggy 67 and jfrijhoff, both really useful tips.

I will have a go at adjusting the c/w arm on the Skyguider, but I might need to take a few brave pills first, do not want to break it.

The angle eyepiece sounds great, no mention of a Skyguider fit though, I will have to ask FLO if it works on the SG. I measured the polar scope e/p and it is around 30mm, so should fit. Now, while I do hate kneeling on the icy granite slabs (which do look great in summer sunshine), the thing that annoys me most is the size & coarse marking of the Skyguider reticle, the SW Star Adventurer is much easier to use. So a magnified view courtesy this angle e/p should really help get a more accurate polar alignment.

On 25/01/2021 at 14:14, ecuador said:

For SkyWatcher current polar scope owners that use Polar Scope Align Pro (PS Align Pro), since version 5.5 there is another option of using the polar scope reticle in the random angle it was installed in. Taken from the app, the idea is that you first figure out at what angle it is installed in - the app will want to know what hour/minute mark points up at "home" position. There are a few ways to do this (on a level mount), borrowed from the app:

HelpOrionRotate.png.7aa536a661e22e503e819bf68978c1eb.png

So in the above example we know our reticle is installed so that 1h 30m is at top. We open the Rotated Reticle View in the app and enter it. We only need to do this once, the app will remember and the rotated reticle tool will now on show you how to polar align with your RA at home position:

841725975_SimulatorScreenShot-iPhoneSE-2021-01-25at14_07_16.png.86d68aa99e1b77b102cdae5f136c0a5b.png

So you see on the lower left the hour angle is listed in reference to the rotated view of your reticle (and as usual you can zoom in on the actual reticle view if you prefer to use the visual aid).

Other manufacturers seem to manage to install similar reticles upright just fine, not sure why SkyWatcher doesn't even try...

Is this app on android if so can you send a link please as I have searched but got this. 

Screenshot_20230207_145114_Google Play Store.jpg

• 4 weeks later...