Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Binoculars

As a newbie to this site I have already learned a lot, especially how annoying the clouds can be. I have only been able to use my scope twice in the last 2 weeks and even then for a short time, so I think my best option is to buy a pair of binoculars to enable me to catch the limited clear spells without having to set up the scope. My 10x50 bins are ok but I have difficulty keeping them steady as they are quite heavy, so I would welcome any advice on what type you would recommend to enable me to learn my way about the skies withou my arms aching. Many thanks in advance.

Maurice.

The 10 x 50's are an ideal size. I used to use a broom handle ( Monopod!) propped between the ground and the centre section of the bino. Gives good support and allows full freedom of movement for most of the sky. Objects higher in the sky, lying back in a lounger is the way to go......

Hello "mojolomjl"

Yes, I would agree with "Merlin" that 10x50's are OK (unless your's are particualrly heavy?).

I have a pair of 8x40's. I find they are nice and llight, and give a good field of view.

7x50's are another popular size (most hand held naval binoculars used to be 7x50's as they give the brightest "exit pupil").

Exit Pupil is the width of the beam of light which comes out of the eyepiece end of a pair of binoculars. The bigger the exit pupil, the better. It is calculated by dividing the size of the Objective lens (front lens) of a binocular by the size of the eyepiece. So a 10x50 binocular (50mm divided by 10mm) will give an exit pupil of 5. A pair of 8x40's will give the same. Pair of 7x50's will give an exit pupil of 7.1. (The Human eye - in a person under 30 years of age will generally open to 7mm), so a pair of 7x50's are giving an image as bright as one would see with the naked eye - except that with the binoculars you have the added bonus of whatever you are looking at being magnified by a factor of 7x.

If you are going to buy a pair of binoculars, it is often better if you can try them out in person, as some binoculars may not feel "comfortable" in use - even though the magnification and field of view are OK.

I apologise if you already know all this!

Regards,

philsail1

I found our 10x50s a bit 'heavy' to hold up to the sky for any length of time. I looked at 8x40s but ended up with 8x32s. I did go to our local telescope supplier to look at loads of different binoculars and to hold them. I was also allowed to take them outside to try them all out, which was very helpful. The 8x32s felt the most comfortable to me to use. If you can go somewhere to try some out, then I would definitely recommend you do that.

Sarah

Archived