Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42

astro mick

Hi.

This image of M42 is only my second attempt at this Nebulae.My first was a couple of years ago when using a DSLR,which at the time i thought it produced a fairly nice image.

I have always stayed away from this Nebulae due to the very bright core when using my ccd cameras.

However on recently getting a ZWO ASI1600MM mono,i thought i would revisit it using RGB filters.

For the main Nebulae i took 30x 120 second images at unity gain,and for the core i too 30x 1 second also at unity gain.

So just over an 1hr for the Nebulae and a total of 30 secs for the core.

This cmos mono camera seems quite sensitive,and i really am liking it.

I dont detect any major amp glow,and the noise is very minimal.

Their are a number of bright stars in this field,which can be iffy to control.

I did take darks and flats.

Cheers.

Mick.

M42b.png

• Like 10

3 hours ago, iwols said:

superb mick also just revisited this ,5 min subs RGB but core blown out any advice cheers....p.s. running man had just run off😄

Image16_DBE_DBE.thumb.jpg.451e4590ec295ec593054a7e7d09d266.jpg

Hi.

Thanks for the comment.

You too have produced a very nice image  as well.But as you say the core is blown out.The answer is to take another set of images of the core alone.We are talking seconds here,you will have to experiment to see how long to expose for.Just aim for a nice detailed core.

You now have two sets of images, one of the long exposure image,and one of just the core.In photo-shop alighn the images.You will then go on to paste the core on top of the main image.

You will then apply a mask.

There are several videos on youtube showing this so have a look.

If you get stuck,get back in touch.

Mick.

17 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Hi.

Thanks for the comment.

You too have produced a very nice image  as well.But as you say the core is blown out.The answer is to take another set of images of the core alone.We are talking seconds here,you will have to experiment to see how long to expose for.Just aim for a nice detailed core.

You now have two sets of images, one of the long exposure image,and one of just the core.In photo-shop alighn the images.You will then go on to paste the core on top of the main image.

You will then apply a mask.

There are several videos on youtube showing this so have a look.

If you get stuck,get back in touch.

Mick.

Thanks mick been using pi but will give it a go when I find a tutorial, not used photo shop much cheers iwols

2 hours ago, Paul M said:

I know tastes evolve but I do like to see M42 in these traditional colours and framing. It's a target that doesn't need reinventing. It keeps giving all of its own free will! :)

Nicely done guys.

Nice comment Paul,thanks.

It is a lovely object,but a devil to image.

Mick.

• Like 1