Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobsonian mounted Skymax 150 mm Maksutov.

I have been enjoying my newly acquired Skymax 150 mm.  Observing with it in a seated position on our small patio at the end of the garden.

Below is a video link. The astronomer has in fact mounted his own Skymax 150 mm on the Dobsonian mount that comes with a Skywatcher 130 Heritage. I was inspired to try this and bought this mount. It actually works. So thankyou to the observer in the video. It will enable me to observe with the setup on the garden table.

Hope that you like it.

Watch "Skywatcher Skymax 150 Pro Maksutov Telescope/ On Mini Dobsonian Mount" on YouTube https://youtu.be/OJb0-E2WsLo

20201216_205333.jpg

20201216_175804.jpg

20201216_175756.jpg

Edited by Guest

That looks like a nice setup for seated observing Martin.

I've been on the unsuccessful lookout for one of these bases to use with my short Zenithstar 66 OTA.

I've now got a Porta ii with the tabletop base that will do the same job, I just need to get a short EQ6 pillar extension to use with it as the HEQ5 one makes it too tall and I don't want to cut it down.

Hope you enjoy this combination.

Ade

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Thanks John, not sure what the difference is between those two bases, they look identical to me though the price is different.

I've bookmarked this and might treat myself to one as a Christmas present.

Ade

6 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Thanks John, not sure what the difference is between those two bases, they look identical to me though the price is different.

The Mini Dobson Mount II is now even better than its predecessor - with rubber feet for a better grip on smooth surfaces and real Teflon pads for smoother movements.

That is from Mini II Dob page - I would say Mini II is successor to other one and has better rubber feet and probably better azimuth motion.

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

That looks like a nice setup for seated observing Martin.

I've been on the unsuccessful lookout for one of these bases to use with my short Zenithstar 66 OTA.

I've now got a Porta ii with the tabletop base that will do the same job, I just need to get a short EQ6 pillar extension to use with it as the HEQ5 one makes it too tall and I don't want to cut it down.

Hope you enjoy this combination.

Ade

Thanks Ade. I have fallen in love with the 150mm Maksutov. Would you post a link to the Porta 2 table top. It would be interesting to see. I know that people who owned 127mm Meade ETX could put the mount on a table top. In fact I used to observe with my Meade LX 90 set on a table top many years ago.

17 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Thanks Ade. I have fallen in love with the 150mm Maksutov. Would you post a link to the Porta 2 table top. It would be interesting to see. I know that people who owned 127mm Meade ETX could put the mount on a table top. In fact I used to observe with my Meade LX 90 set on a table top many years ago.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it Martin, I look forward to having a look sometime in 2023 when we're eventually allowed to meet up again 😉

I don't have a photo of the actual setup at the moment as its all neatly stored in boxes, but here are some screenshots from the Porta ii Manual and Vixen website. 

The bottom of the HEQ5 pillar extension or EQ6 pillar extension fits onto the base and the Porta ii adaptor plate fits the top of the HEQ5 extension, it will make a smart little setup with slow-mo controls when I get the short tube squared off, skimmed out and three holes drilled at each end to hold the ends in place.

1541210206_PortaIITabletopBase.PNG.a8dc701b54d0aa0d5d8d5f0df709caab.PNG

1552231916_PortaIITabletop.PNG.dfc2defb0e683a0daafcab734cddfb3b.PNG